Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Sachin Kale <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/01 17:49:48 UTC

Master-Slave setup using SolrCloud

Hello,

We are trying to move our traditional master-slave Solr configuration to
SolrCloud. As our index size is very small (around 1 GB), we are having
only one shard.
So basically, we are having same master-slave configuration with one leader
and 6 replicas.
We are experimenting with maxTime of both AutoCommit and AutoSoftCommit.
Currently, autoCommit maxTime is 15 minutes and autoSoftCommit is 1 minute
(Let me know if these values does not make sense).

Caches are set such that warmup time is at most 20 seconds.

We are having continuous indexing requests mostly for updating the existing
documents. Few requests are for deleting/adding the documents.

The problem we are facing is that we are getting very frequent
NullPointerExceptions.
We get continuous 200-300 such exceptions within a period of 30 seconds and
for next few minutes, it works fine.

​
I am not sure what would be causing it. My guess, whenever, it is trying to
replay tlog, we are getting these exceptions. Is anything wrong in my
configuration?

Re: Master-Slave setup using SolrCloud

Posted by Sachin Kale <sa...@gmail.com>.
Actually, the image was captured from SOLR dashboard having following lines:

*Error    SolrCore                  java.lang.NullPointerException*
*Error    SolrDispatchFilter    java.lang.NullPointerException*

We are now on SolrCloud setup completely.
Memory allocated to each SOLR instance is 7GB. I guess it is more than
sufficient for 1 GB index, right?
Indexes are stored as normal, local filesystem.
We are using latest SOLR version, 4.10.0
I am using three caches:
    Query Cache: Size 4096, autoWarmCount 2048
    Filter cache: size 8192, autoWarmCount 4096
    Document cache: size 4096

I think I am setting wrong values from commit maxTime. Just found out
following document:
http://lucidworks.com/blog/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

According to this document, if our requirement is Index-Heavy, Query-Heavy,
then autoSoftCommit should be as long as high (not sure what should be its
value in my case) and hardCommit to 15 seconds (I am using 15 minutes).
Should I change my hard commit interval to 15 minutes?