Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Marcus Eagan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2023/05/02 22:08:19 UTC

Shifting Execution Strategy to a New UI Plugin

HI all,

I have done a lot of research and there is not really a path forward with a
modern UI that does not require a NodeJS server process. Given the push
back from the last Committer meeting,* I'd like to propose that I move
forward with work on the new Solr UI as a plugin that works with the new
package manager that Noble and co stewarded.* In that case, I think things
can evolve somewhat independently and I can make changes to Solr as they
come up. It will also make it easier for me to onboard others. I will
likely host a Solr Admin UI dev so that people who want to work on or
specialize in front end don't have to deal with the challenges of getting
started with Solr. That has gotten more difficult over the past few years
and it is something that should be addressed, but it is out of scope for
this work.

I move fast, but please keep in mind I also have a host of other
commitments and many of them are in the sister project Lucene. However, you
can still expect progress and innovation. If you all find this path to be
amenable, we'll coordinate on this mailing list with Jason Gerlowski for V2
API questions, Ishan and Noble for the package manager which I am somewhat
familiar with, Eric Pugh for lots of stuff, and Jan Hoydahl for auth and
security.

Please let me know what you think.

best,

--
Marcus Eagan
Apache Solr Committer / Open Source Hacker

Re: Shifting Execution Strategy to a New UI Plugin

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
For what it's worth, some time ago, I worked out a configuration with
Angular 2 that did just fine with the usual angular tools, standard angular
serving with hot reloading (as long as the java process was running
separately to answer requests) etc. The "admin" section of my java web-app
starter kit (not a framework and not recently maintained) is here
https://github.com/nsoft/ns-login/tree/master/admin and it builds a war
that deploys into a separate context in a j2ee servlet container... Since
Solr is just a Jetty the same thing should apply. The key bit was
configuring the proxy.conf.json
https://github.com/nsoft/ns-login/blob/master/admin/proxy.conf.json so that
requests to /rest/api went to port 8080 instead of back to the
hotreloading. Likely something similar could be done with any other system
(react, whatever), as long as there's an analog to the angular2 proxy
config to enable hot reloading to send requests back to a different port.

-Gus

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)

Re: Shifting Execution Strategy to a New UI Plugin

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
FWIW I wouldn't veto Node being required to do the front-end build,
although I wouldn't love it either.  Primary requirement is that it not be
a component of the production delivery -- glad to see it would not be.  And
that anyone could do a build (by adding CLI flags to the build) to not
build the UI, yet still get an otherwise complete build artifact.

Agreed with Jan on Solr needing this UI to be easily available for both
standalone users and SolrCloud users alike.

Yes, let's get an updated SIP-7.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley