Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Ericson, Doug" <do...@zoominfo.com> on 2010/12/17 17:49:47 UTC

Single Column vs Multiple Columns

I have a data model where each read and each write will read and write all data for a given key.  Thus, does it make more sense to separate the data into multiple columns, or does it make more sense to store all data in a single column?

My understanding is that breaking data into multiple columns is an optimization for reading and writing a single column. If all data is updated for every write, and read for every read, then having all data in a single column offers better performance, is this a correct assumption?

Re: Single Column vs Multiple Columns

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
The performance difference is negligible and the other drawbacks are
significant, e.g., losing the ability to create indexes on a column.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra