Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tuan Quan <tu...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/21 17:58:03 UTC

prevent certain IP address to access apache HTTPD

with version 1.3.20, can I prevent access from certain
IP (or range of IPs) addresss to apache server?

When taking a look at errorlog file, there are same
IPs that hackers were trying to hack into the the
server? How can I report these IPs someone ?

thanks.

Re: prevent certain IP address to access apache HTTPD

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Tuan Quan wrote:

> with version 1.3.20, can I prevent access from certain
> IP (or range of IPs) addresss to apache server?
>
> When taking a look at errorlog file, there are same
> IPs that hackers were trying to hack into the the
> server? How can I report these IPs someone ?

Oy, why are people making this so difficult.  The answer to your question
is here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html

As an example (in httpd.conf):

<Location />
Order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from 123.456.789.123
</Location>

Joshua.

Re: prevent certain IP address to access apache HTTPD

Posted by Brian Gibson <bg...@wheatonma.edu>.
I am not trying to be a pain but I do not think this will work if apache is
running as a daemon and not out of
inetd ( or xinetd on RedHat ) through the use of tcpwrappers.  I think the
standard way to run Apache nowadays is to run it as a standalone daemon
with an rc script.  Any thoughts on this????

I would think that if you are running as a daemon you could edit httpd.conf and
add a "deny from" directive in the proper area of the global section
and specify those IPs.  I am not an expert on this, but I think you will also
need to set the order to deny,allow above it.

Posted by Matthew Daubenspeck <ma...@oddprocess.org>.
/etc/hosts.deny

Posted by Tuan Quan <tu...@yahoo.com>.
linux