Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2020/03/10 11:33:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Link Stateful Functions from the Flink Website

Hi all!

I think it would be nice to mention Stateful Function on the Flink website.
At the moment, Stateful Functions is very hard to discover, and with the
first release of it under Apache Flink, it would be a good time to change
that.

My proposal would be to add a "What is Stateful Functions?" below the "What
is Apache Flink" entry in the sidenav, and point it to
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-statefun-docs-master/
It is not ideal, yet, but it may serve as an intermediate solution until we
can make more involved attempt to rethink the website (for example to also
make SQL more prominent than it currently is).

An alternative idea was to link it only from the docs, but this would be a
bit hidden, in my opinion.

As a bit of background:
  - The Stateful Functions docs a are a separate doc tree at the moment,
because the code (with the docs) is for now in a separate repository and
separately versioned/releases.
  - The layout of the Stateful Functions docs is still in the old/original
format, from when it was an "outside Flink" project.
  - There are plans to migrate this to the same stack as the Flink docs and
make it look consistent, but it would be nice to have the docs  available
in the meantime already.

Best,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Link Stateful Functions from the Flink Website

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for the list of proposed changes

 - What is "Stateful Functions"? link
  - Documentation -> Stateful Functions Docs
  - StateFun on GitHub

Cheers,
Till

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:22 PM Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thank you all, for chiming in!
>
> I like the ideas suggested to update the website, I am also +1 for an
> update the the main image and make sure we show. Maybe something like [1],
> which would also help to increase SQL visibility.
> I guess that would be a bit of a bigger effort, and I would kick off that
> bigger discussion in a few days or so.

Until then, as an immediate "band aid", I would then add these here (unless

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Thank you all, for chiming in!

From:Hequn Cheng <he...@apache.org>
Send Time:2020 Mar. 11 (Wed.) 15:36