Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alexander Kunkel <al...@yahoo.de> on 2006/01/20 19:59:47 UTC

How to deliver mails immediately in a local environment

Hi,

i use James for local tests of a mail enabled application. I configured
to use James only on localhost.

How can i reduce the time James need to provide my test mail sent via
SMTP for fetching with POP3. Currently James needs 120 seconds till i
can see my test mail in my mail client although i press the fetch
button of my mail client every 10 seconds.

Regards
Alexander

Re: How to deliver mails immediately in a local environment

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Alexander Kunkel wrote:
> Now i downloaded from
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/bin/
>
> --> Same effect

It seems that
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/bin/
and
http://svn.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/bin/
is the same host ;-)

> More details how i use it:
> I send test mail from user@localhost.de to user@localhost.de using
> Thunderbird.

Ok, I simply tested it with file repositories and it worked.
I just tried with dbfile and derby and I can reproduce the issue.

I'm debugging to understand where is the deadlock for the jdbc repository!

Stefano

Re: How to deliver mails immediately in a local environment

Posted by Alexander Kunkel <al...@yahoo.de>.
Now i downloaded from

Posted by Alexander Kunkel <al...@yahoo.de>.
Hello Stefano,

It works now with the current nightly build 22.01.2006 21:06.

Thanks

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> please try again with the next nightly.

Oops, somehow the "nightly" build just ran.  ;-)

> - public void store(MailImpl mc)
> + public void store(Mail mc)

Cute.  Subtle.

> I committed the bad code and as I made my bed I must lie in it!

Oh, please.  I run with dbfile all the time, had actually noticed the
behavior, and I didn't go tracking it down (lack of time).  But this does
explain why a bug that I thought I had fixed long ago came back.  It is a
good cautionary tale about changing method signatures, and the type of
example that we are likely to remember.

	--- Noel

Re: How to deliver mails immediately in a local environment

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Alexander Kunkel <al...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Alexander Kunkel <al...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Stefano,

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Alexander Kunkel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i use James for local tests of a mail enabled application. I configured
> to use James only on localhost.
>
> How can i reduce the time James need to provide my test mail sent via
> SMTP for fetching with POP3. Currently James needs 120 seconds till i
> can see my test mail in my mail client although i press the fetch
> button of my mail client every 10 seconds.

IIRC there is a know thread-racing bug in James 2.2.0 that cause this
"delay". I remember 60seconds and not 120 but maybe you have 2 spooling
operations. It only happens when you have very low traffic (on high
traffic mail servers the delay does not exists because there are no
"sleeping threads" to wake up).