Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jason Smith <js...@projectrefinery.com> on 2003/11/30 00:37:31 UTC

Servlet File Download dialog problem (IE6,Adobe 6.0)

I'm new to FOP.  I'm trying to dynamically create a PDF from a struts web application.  In my action bean I execute a JSP URL that returns the FOP xml.  I take the return stream and place it into a reader and then pass it to renderFO method from the example servlet.

This seems to work like I want it to.  However, I'm running into an issue with IE.  Whenever I input the URL for my action bean, the first time through I get the "File Download window".  The file type is "Adobe Acrobat Control for ActiveX".  If I cancel and then resubmit the very same URL, the PDF is displayed.

I have read the FAQ and several messages about problems with IE but have not run across my exact problem.  In them they say to include a dummy.pdf at the end of the URL.  And to include a PDF extension as part of the base URL.  I have done both but still have the issue.

I have tried various URLs including:

....IncidentPDFPath.do?incidentSID=123245&x=dummy.pdf
....IncidentPDFPath.pdf?incidentSID=123245&x=dummy.pdf

With the same results.

The funny thing is the second time I submit the URL from the browser it works.  If I open a new browser and submit it I get the "File Download" window again the first time.  The second time from the same browser the PDF is displayed.

Thanks for any help.

Jason Smith
Project Refinery
www.projectrefinery.com
jsmith@projectrefinery.com

Re: Servlet File Download dialog problem (IE6,Adobe 6.0)

Posted by Daniel Easton <da...@acidy.com>.
Hi Jason,

I also had problems displaying my pdf's.  I've got the following headers defined:

I also calcuate the length of the file and set

where x is the length of the string stream of the pdf

There's also something called accept ranges (mine is set to bytes ??) which is IE 6 only (but not sure what it is, try http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/constants/response_headers.asp)

Good Luck :-)

Daniel
  Thanks for the response.  I am setting the content type to "application/pdf".  It also does not seem to matter if I include the x=dummy.pdf parameter or not.  It still works the same.  The first time it attempts the download, the next time works like a charm.

  Chris Pratt <ch...@planetpratt.com> wrote:
    Make sure that you set the content type to "application/pdf".
      (*Chris*)

Posted by Jason Smith <js...@projectrefinery.com>.