Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by bijayant kumar <bi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/29 07:53:55 UTC

need help-a newbie here

Hi,
    I have installed subversion on my gentoo linux box today. So i am definitly a newbie. I want support from all of the members.
                   I have to use subversion in a client-server framework architecture. For it, can i have to install subversion on every system or just on the single machine.  Thanks in advance

Bijayant Kumar

Re: need help-a newbie here

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/06, bijayant kumar <bi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>     I have installed subversion on my gentoo linux box today. So i am
> definitly a newbie. I want support from all of the members.
>                    I have to use subversion in a client-server framework
> architecture. For it, can i have to install subversion on every system or
> just on the single machine.  Thanks in advance
>

> Bijayant Kumar

Bijayant, you need to have subversion installed on
 - the machine that is going to be dedicated as the subversion server
 - all the machines where development takes place.

I am not sure what you mean by "use subversion in a client-server framework
architecture". Subversion always works as a client-server combo, if that is
what you mean. On the subversion server machine you will configure it to
start the server and on the development machines you use the client to
manage the source code. The client knows how to communicate with the server.

Also, please read the subversion book http://svnbook.red-bean.com/.

regards,
--
-Hari Kodungallur
SpikeSource Inc.

RE: need help-a newbie here

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
The Subversion installation is for BOTH client and server; talks exist
on
separating the two apps, but who know if/when that happens.

So yes, you will NEED to install Subversion on every "client" machine
also.

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com