Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <Pa...@lawlex.com.au> on 2003/05/22 00:00:40 UTC

Chainsaw2 & latest log4j-core jar error

[This is mainly for Ceki & Scott, re: the changes to the LoggingEvent
constructor and ThrowableInformation.]

Hi all, this morning I downloaded the latest jakarta-log4j module and built
the jar, and used this new jar as the core library for Chainsaw2.  When I
open up a test XML source file in Chainsaw2 I am getting this error msg:

 [java] java.lang.NullPointerException
 [java]     at
org.apache.log4j.spi.ThrowableInformation.getThrowableStrRep(ThrowableInform
ation.java:93)
 [java]     at
org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.getThrowableStrRep(LoggingEvent.java:512)
 [java]     at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppenderHandler.convert(ChainsawAppenderHa
ndler.java:190)
 [java]     at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppenderHandler.access$2(ChainsawAppenderH
andler.java:124)
 [java]     at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppenderHandler$WorkQueue$WorkerThread.run
(ChainsawAppenderHandler.java

Line 93 of ThrowableInformation in the log4j-core is:

throwable.printStackTrace(vw);

>From a log4j-core side, looks like internal throwable member is null as well
as the rep String[]...  Now the question is, should thus be caught in the
constructor of ThrowableInformation as an IllegalArgumentException? Or are
there performance considerations there? Or are we allowed to have a kinda
'null-ish' ThrowableInformation?

>From a chainsaw side, if the is no exception msg in the XML events, then in
line 378-ish of the log4j.net.XMLDecoder class in the log4j-sandbox will be
attempting to construct a ThrowableInformation with a null value.  What
should we do here?  I'm not quite sure.

I'm happy to submit any changes, I'm just not sure what they should be.

cheers,

_________________________
Paul Smith
Lawlex Compliance Solutions
phone: +61 3 9278 1511
email: paul.smith@lawlex.com.au

Re: Chainsaw2 & latest log4j-core jar error

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Paul,

I'd like to reproduce this. Could you please indicate the command you are
executing and provide the XML source file you are reading?

       ISBN: 2970036908  http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp