Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2011/05/09 15:44:19 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Incomplete file downloads if Apache HTTPD is killed

On 20.04.11 20:19, Bostjan Skufca wrote:
> Sending SIGKILL was just a way to simulate apachectl stop, which sends
> SIGTERM and then if after 10s some children still did not exit, parent sends
> SIGKILL to them.

So that was bad way to simulate "apachectl stop" just because of the above.
I think with 2.2 it even is not true, because apache2 has own way to
configure shutdown timeouts, the GracefulShutdownTimeout directive.

While talking about killed server and knowing that the file was
transferred - It's often impossible to know. The chunked encoding or the
Content-Length header are needed to know if the whole file was transfered.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.

Re: [users@httpd] Incomplete file downloads if Apache HTTPD is killed

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 09.05.11 16:26, Bostjan Skufca wrote:
> Yes, timeout is configurable, but that was the only lie there:)

well, apache2ctl is here only a scripts that calls apache2 -k ...

> > While talking about killed server and knowing that the file was
> > transferred - It's often impossible to know. The chunked encoding or the
> > Content-Length header are needed to know if the whole file was transfered.
>
> Chunked content encoding does not help here. Also, my experiments with
> few popular browsers has shown that they don't even try to support
> Content-Length correctly. I've been watching HTTP headers and correct
> Content-Length was specified, then I started a download and then
> killed the HTTPD child that served the download request before the
> download was completed. AND browsers did not even complain about
> failed download, they just stopped downloading with message "Download
> complete" or (if I selected to run the executable) complained about
> downloaded file being corrupt, but not incomplete.
>
> It does not work with gzip and Firefox too, just tried it. "Download complete."

> So here is the question again - is there something one can do with
> Apache (or Linux/other OS) that will change browser's behaviour in a
> way that it will report incomplete download to the user?

So it appears there in one, but it was reported that clients ignore it :)
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT will now restart for changes to take
to take effect. [OK]

Re: [users@httpd] Incomplete file downloads if Apache HTTPD is killed

Posted by Bostjan Skufca <bo...@a2o.si>.
On 9 May 2011 15:44, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> So that was bad way to simulate "apachectl stop" just because of the above.
> I think with 2.2 it even is not true, because apache2 has own way to
> configure shutdown timeouts, the GracefulShutdownTimeout directive.

Yes, timeout is configurable, but that was the only lie there:)

> While talking about killed server and knowing that the file was
> transferred - It's often impossible to know. The chunked encoding or the
> Content-Length header are needed to know if the whole file was transfered.

Chunked content encoding does not help here. Also, my experiments with
few popular browsers has shown that they don't even try to support
Content-Length correctly. I've been watching HTTP headers and correct
Content-Length was specified, then I started a download and then
killed the HTTPD child that served the download request before the
download was completed. AND browsers did not even complain about
failed download, they just stopped downloading with message "Download
complete" or (if I selected to run the executable) complained about
downloaded file being corrupt, but not incomplete.

It does not work with gzip and Firefox too, just tried it. "Download complete."

So here is the question again - is there something one can do with
Apache (or Linux/other OS) that will change browser's behaviour in a
way that it will report incomplete download to the user?

Thank you for your time BTW,
b.