Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2001/11/26 20:01:52 UTC

apache configuration question

gstein,

I'm trying to understand what causes this COPY request to be rejected
by Apache.  I've seen this error before on newton.collab.net, but now
I'm seeing it on sp.red-bean.com (another test server).  (IIRC, on
newton, we changed the httpd.conf somehow to fix this?)

I checked out my entire working copy from 'sp.red-bean.com', which is
a CNAME for sanpietro.red-bean.com.  But Apache is sending back a 502
on a COPY (but not on a PUT).  Can you remind me what's going on here?

COPY /testing/$svn/bc/7//misctext/3bits HTTP/1.1
Connection: TE
TE: trailers
Depth: infinity
Destination: http://sp.red-bean.com:8080/testing/$svn/wrk/9ae1671d-d21d-b211-8c09-ee069d8f7c3b/misctext/copies/3bits
Overwrite: T
Host: sp.red-bean.com:8080
Authorization: Basic c3Vzc21hbjpzdDFzb3Vw

HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:29:22 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.29-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/0.6.0

<title>502 Bad Gateway</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Gateway</h1>
<hr />
<address>Apache/2.0.29-dev Server at sanpietro.red-bean.com Port 80</address>

--- (Even more mysterious:  this server is running on port 8080, not
    80, as the last line reports!)

Re: apache configuration question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk> writes:

>  ServerAlias sp.red-bean.com

Eep, this seems like something that will bite users a lot.

I mean, there seems to be an inconsistency:  I can use any old CNAME
to do an svn checkout or commit, but if my commit contains a copy,
then suddenly I have to make sure the ServerAlias is in place?  Yikes.

If this is the only solution, then we need to add "ServerAlias" as a
requirement to the server_setup.html doc.  People take CNAMEs for
granted when talking to web servers, I think.

Re: apache configuration question

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:01:52PM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what causes this COPY request to be rejected
> by Apache.  I've seen this error before on newton.collab.net, but now
> I'm seeing it on sp.red-bean.com (another test server).  (IIRC, on
> newton, we changed the httpd.conf somehow to fix this?)
>
> I checked out my entire working copy from 'sp.red-bean.com', which is
> a CNAME for sanpietro.red-bean.com.  But Apache is sending back a 502
> on a COPY (but not on a PUT).  Can you remind me what's going on here?

For a COPY to work, Apache has to know that the hostname in the
Destination header refers to the server it's running on. In this case,
Apache thinks it is running on sanpietro.red-bean.com, and doesn't know
that "sp.red-bean.com" is the same machine. If this is a VirtualHost in
your Apache config, you can make this work by adding:

 ServerAlias sp.red-bean.com

Otherwise you should just use the real name for the server to check out
from.  Possibly there are other ways to fix this in 2.0, not sure.

> COPY /testing/$svn/bc/7//misctext/3bits HTTP/1.1
> Connection: TE
> TE: trailers
> Depth: infinity
> Destination: http://sp.red-bean.com:8080/testing/$svn/wrk/9ae1671d-d21d-b211-8c09-ee069d8f7c3b/misctext/copies/3bits
> Overwrite: T
> Host: sp.red-bean.com:8080

ps. watch out for those Authorization headers which leak your password!
:)