Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz> on 2014/04/26 18:15:39 UTC

What does store.so module do?

Hi,

I noticed that when I build the broker (0.28 RC1), it builds following
modules (I enabled the linear store during the build):
$ ls /usr/local/lib64/qpid/daemon/
amqp.so  ha.so  legacystore.so  linearstore.so  store.so  store.so.0.28
 xml.so

I have no idea what does the store.so / store.so.0.28 do. When I don't load
the module neither the legacy store nor the linear store misses it. When I
load the store .so module alone, it also doesn't seem to do anything. Can
someone explain to me what does the store.so do?

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

Re: What does store.so module do?

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Sat, 2014-04-26 at 18:15 +0200, Jakub Scholz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that when I build the broker (0.28 RC1), it builds following
> modules (I enabled the linear store during the build):
> $ ls /usr/local/lib64/qpid/daemon/
> amqp.so  ha.so  legacystore.so  linearstore.so  store.so  store.so.0.28
>  xml.so
>
> I have no idea what does the store.so / store.so.0.28 do. When I don't load
> the module neither the legacy store nor the linear store misses it. When I
> load the store .so module alone, it also doesn't seem to do anything. Can
> someone explain to me what does the store.so do?

store.so was introduced by Steve Huston when he wrote the Windows store
code - it is used to select one of the 2 stores that could be used.

However the knowledge of this module didn't go anywhere (even though it
will run cross platform) and it was ignored in subsequent Linux store
work.

Subsequently when we got multiple stores on Linux they did not register
with the store.so module and will both try to load if they are present,
although there is broker code that will abort in this case.

So in short, you can completely ignore the store.so code on Linux,
although it might actually be useful to switch between the linearstore
and legacystore if they were changed to register with store.so.

Andrew