Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by dilly <di...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/07 08:13:40 UTC

Plan for updating axis(yes it is axis 1 not 2)

 Hi, I am a newcomer to this mailing list.
I have used axis 1 in servial projects as an experienced user, it is a
good choice for the web server with jdk 1.4 or lower.

But it is a pity for long-time-no-updating situation. There are many
outdated links which are not valid and misleading. Also, some tiny
mistakes lie in the document. Besides, serival bugs live in the JIRA for
a long time.

So as a man who wants to do something for axis 1, I have a plan for
updating axis 1.
1.Update the document and the axis 1 site web pages to correct the
outdated links which are not valid anymore, e.g., the mailing list
address(lol:).
2.Update the document with axis 1 package, remove tiny mistakes.
3.If possible, resolve some of the old bugs.

The Ultimate purpose is to announce axis 1.5. It is beyond my
capabilities, at least now. But I can make a small step towards it,
let's say 1.4.1?

So there are the questions: Who will take my ouputs to the svn
repository? And there is still an active axis 1 sponsor ready for
checking my work?

Any response will be grateful, thank you in advance.

dilly(Ma Yu)
Shanghai, China
2010-10-07

Re: Plan for updating axis(yes it is axis 1 not 2)

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
If I remember correctly, the conclusion of the discussion about the
fate of Axis 1.x was that the Attic [1] focuses on top level projects
that no longer have a community. For subprojects that are no longer
maintained, it's up to the respective TLP to decide what to do with
them. With respect to Axis 1.x, I think that the implicit decision was
to keep the status quo (i.e. to simply leave the code in Subversion
[2] and to have at least download links reachable from the Axis TLP
home page) until somebody volunteers to do some maintenance work on
the code.

If Dilly wants to contribute to this, then I would propose the
following procedure:
* Create and/or update the relevant JIRA issues [1] and attach patches
with the changes.
* Periodically send to java-dev@axis.apache.org a list of JIRA issues
with patches to be reviewed and applied by Tom (or somebody else).

Andreas

[1] http://attic.apache.org/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis1/java/ (Note that the
tags are still under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/)
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS

Posted by dilly <di...@gmail.com>.
  Got it.  Though I still think java-user@axis.apache.org might be a
better choice, I would accept the cold, silent, inactive
axis1-java-user@axis.apache.org as the new base -_-!  Besides, the
following discussion about axis 1 will be sent to new mailing list,
sorry to interrupt axis2 users here.

dilly(Ma Yu)
Shanghai, China

于 2010-10-9 16:40, Andreas Veithen 写道:

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dilly <di...@gmail.com>.
  Hi,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Please note that the site is generated and that you need to provide
patches for the site source. It seems that the site is generated using
an Ant script located here (I never touched any Axis 1.x stuff, so I'm
discovering at the same time as you):

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/trunk/site/src/java/build.xml

Have you been able to run this script?

Andreas