Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2011/03/24 06:17:28 UTC

Fault tolerance background

I've started writing an annotated bibliography for background reading on
fault tolerance for River developers. It is checked in to
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/river/jtsk/skunk/patsFaultTolerance. The
check-in includes the generated .pdf file, so that anyone can read it
even if they are not set up to process bibtex and latex files.

If you read any papers in this area and want to add them, you have two
choices:

1. Check out the directory, edit the .tex and .bib files, rebuild the
.pdf, and check in the new versions. This option is only recommended if
you are already set up to process latex and bibtex files.

2. E-mail me the citation and your comments and I'll incorporate them.
If convenient, please include the bibtex citation.

Note that even if a paper with an apparently relevant title turns out to
be useless, it is still worth adding it with a note on why it is
useless. That way, other developers will be able to avoid wasting time
finding and reading it.

Patricia

Re: Fault tolerance background

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Patricia,

I've gone through the same "Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance" paper that
you have.  Here are some of my comments.  I don't if you'll find them useful
or not.

1.  "[replicatants] must start in the same state".  Does this mean that we
can't adhoc add or replace replicas?

2.  References 18 & 26 are probably worth checking out.

3.  We probably don't need the cryptography stuff from this algo.

4.  There is a limit to the number of replicants that must exist and be
working for the system to work.  That limit is > 2 which might be an issue.
I suppose it depends on what we say is required in any SLA.

Cheers,

Tom