Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Madhire, Naveen" <Na...@capitalone.com> on 2016/05/13 15:58:35 UTC

Flink recovery

Hi,

We are trying to test the recovery mechanism of Flink with Kafka and HDFS sink during failures.

I’ve killed the job after processing some messages and restarted the same job again. Some of the messages I am seeing are processed more than once and not following the exactly once semantics.

Also, using the checkpointing mechanism and saving the state checkpoints into HDFS.
Below is the checkpoint code,

envStream.enableCheckpointing(11);
envStream.getCheckpointConfig().setCheckpointingMode(CheckpointingMode.EXACTLY_ONCE);
envStream.getCheckpointConfig().setCheckpointTimeout(60000);
envStream.getCheckpointConfig().setMaxConcurrentCheckpoints(4);

envStream.setStateBackend(new FsStateBackend("hdfs://ipaddr/mount/cp/checkpoint/"));

One thing I’ve noticed is lowering the time to checkpointing is actually lowering the number of messages processed more than once and 11ms is the lowest I can use.

Is there anything else I should try to have exactly once message processing functionality.

I am using Flink 1.0.0 and kafka 0.8

Thank you.

Re: Flink recovery

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for reporting back Naveen!

Re: Flink recovery

Posted by "Madhire, Naveen" <Na...@capitalone.com>.

From: Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM
To: "user@flink.apache.org<ma...@flink.apache.org>" <us...@flink.apache.org>>

Hi,

Flink's exactly-once semantics do not mean that events are processed exactly-once but that events will contribute exactly-once to the state of an operator such as a counter.
Roughly, the mechanism works as follows:
- Flink peridically injects checkpoint markers into the data stream. This happens synchronously across all sources and markers.
- When an operator receives a checkpoint marker from all its sources, it checkpoints its state and forwards the marker
- When the marker was received by all sinks, the distributed checkpoint is noted as successful.

In case of a failure, the state of all operators is reset to the last successful checkpoint and the sources are reset to the point when the marker was injected.
Hence, some events are sent a second time to the operators but the state of the operators was reset as well. So the repeated events contribute exactly once to the state of an operator.

From: "Madhire, Venkat Naveen Kumar Reddy" <Na...@capitalone.com>>
Date: Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM
To: "user@flink.apache.org<ma...@flink.apache.org>" <us...@flink.apache.org>>
Subject: Flink recovery