Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Benjamin Lerer <b....@gmail.com> on 2021/11/29 16:58:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Throughput issues when inserting on contended partitions

Hi everybody,

We have seen some serious throughput issues when inserting data with
collections on contended partitions ( CASSANDRA-17163
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17163> and CASSANDRA-15464
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15464>).
Benedict has created some patches to address those issues and improve the
insertion throughput and memory consumptions ( CASSANDRA-15510
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15510> and  CASSANDRA-15511
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15511>)
Those patches are significant changes and are currently marked as
improvements.

I am wondering if we should not consider implementing those changes in 4.0
considering the fact that they will fix serious existing issues and would
like to hear your options about it.

Re: [DISCUSS] Throughput issues when inserting on contended partitions

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <b....@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer. 😀

I will review the patches and port them to 4.0

Posted by Berenguer Blasi <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "benedict@apache.org" <be...@apache.org>.
I’m in favour, though I have weaker requirements for backports than others.

This work is pretty significant, though. It’s nothing like the complexity of CEP-14, but it heavily modifies a critical piece of the system. I would say that it needs a rigorous review process if it’s going into a patch release.

I also won’t have time to forward port it in the near future, though I think it shouldn’t be too onerous for other contributors, and I’m happy to help guide that process.

From: Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, 29 November 2021 at 17:03
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org <de...@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Throughput issues when inserting on contended partitions
I think it makes a lot of sense to fix these in 4.0, they have been
lingering issues long enough. +1

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.