Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> on 2015/06/23 20:15:27 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Hey Guys,

We had some discussion over mail and in KIP hangout. I will update the RB
with proposed changes.

Ashish

Re: [VOTE] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for your comments and vote guys. KIP-23 passed retroactively with 2
binding +1s and 2 non-binding +1s.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Aditya Auradkar <aa...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Thanks. +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
Aditya,

Posted by Aditya Auradkar <aa...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Hey Ashish,

Last hangout, I think we discussed adding a "num-iterations" parameter to the script. Do you plan to support that?

Aditya

> We had some discussion over mail and in KIP hangout. I will update the RB
> with proposed changes.
>

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Neha,
> >
> > Answers inline.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for submitting the KIP, Ashish! Few questions.
> >>
> >> 1. Can you specify more details around how you expect csv output to be
> >> used. Same for json.
> >>
> > CSV takes less storage space and is more convenient for shell operations.
> > A simple diff between two csv outputs would tell you if something changed
> > or not. It's also common in certain industries when dealing with legacy
> > systems and workflows. Try importing JSON into MS Excel.
> >
> > JSON on the other hand has easy interpretation, compact notation and
> > supports Hierarchical Data. If someone is planning to run the tool
> > periodically and send the output to some server or even just persist it
> > somewhere, JSON is probably the way to go.
> >
> > 2. If we add these options, would you still need the old format. If
> >> csv/json offers more convenience, should we have a plan to phase out the
> >> old format?
> >>
> > Probably not, but having it around will not hurt. Having three output
> > formats is not that bad and I do not expect this list to grow in future.

> >> aware?

> >> voting

> asingh@cloudera.com>

> >> the
> >> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56852556

> asingh@cloudera.com

> >> options
> >> made

> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> Neha
> >>

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashish
> >

> --
>
> Regards,
> Ashish

Neha

Re: [VOTE] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
+1

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> We had some discussion over mail and in KIP hangout. I will update the RB
> with proposed changes.
>

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Neha,
> >
> > Answers inline.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for submitting the KIP, Ashish! Few questions.
> >>
> >> 1. Can you specify more details around how you expect csv output to be
> >> used. Same for json.
> >>
> > CSV takes less storage space and is more convenient for shell operations.
> > A simple diff between two csv outputs would tell you if something changed
> > or not. It's also common in certain industries when dealing with legacy
> > systems and workflows. Try importing JSON into MS Excel.
> >
> > JSON on the other hand has easy interpretation, compact notation and
> > supports Hierarchical Data. If someone is planning to run the tool
> > periodically and send the output to some server or even just persist it
> > somewhere, JSON is probably the way to go.
> >
> > 2. If we add these options, would you still need the old format. If
> >> csv/json offers more convenience, should we have a plan to phase out the
> >> old format?
> >>
> > Probably not, but having it around will not hurt. Having three output
> > formats is not that bad and I do not expect this list to grow in future.

> >> aware?

> >> voting

> asingh@cloudera.com>

> >> the