Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2006/12/06 19:04:20 UTC

Linkability in the HTTP Binding (was Re: isGET in interceptors...)

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for that WSDL2 proposal link, that is very interesting and your
example highlights exactly where I am stuck right now.

Currently the HTTP binding has no concept of linkability. How this should be
implemented is very tricky. Your example below highlights integrating it
into the data model. This begs the question - if I'm designing a schema,
should I design it in context of HTTP and resources? If the answer is yes,
than you have a much different schema than you might have with SOAP. It also
makes for a different client API.

But many people don't want to design schemas in the context of HTTP and
URIs. They might share schemas with SOAP service or other departments that
have different resource mappings. So the other option that I can think of is
to somehow make the HTTP binding aware of URIs and references and have some
kind of pointer mechanism. But I'm not sure there is a transparent way to
enable HTTP linkability without affecting your data model.

Abdera (which implements the Atom Publishing Protocol) took the former
approach to this. Their client is completely URI based:

http://incubator.apache.org/abdera/docs/api/index.html?org/apache/abdera/protocol/client/Client.html

I'd really like to integrate an XPointer mechanism into the HTTP binding.
I'm just trying to figure out the most natural way to do so. A couple
questions I've been pondering:
- How do we construct URIs on the server side to give references to other
resources? Some type of URIContext? i.e. uriContext.createURI("/customer/" +
id)?
- Wouldn't that tie our service implementation to the specific resources it
is serving out? Is that desirable?
- Can we do automatic reference creation? i.e. return a collection of
customers, and have some annotation which says "take the ID field and
construct this URI:. @CollectionReference("/customer/{id}")

Hopefully that made some sense. I'm still collecting my thoughts on this.

Regards
- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: Linkability in the HTTP Binding (was Re: isGET in interceptors...)

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Sorry, may be my last message was a bit too theoretical :-). I  jsut wanted to clarify that probably irrespectively of whether we
have SOAP or not, the question is how to represent a reference from a parent resource to some other resource, say we have a
collection of things...Perhaps in case of SOAP one may or may not use WS-Addressing to represent references to other resources , in
headers, or directly inside the collection representation, or use URI, again conveyed in custom headers or inside the collection,
but either way we can link resources at interface and binding level so that even in case of SOAP we don't write :

WS-Addressing ref = Customer.getReference()
CustomerRepo repo = new CustomerRepo(ref)

Either way, it's great you've started looking into this issue...

The reason I also mention WADL is that linkability is something which should be resolved there though I can't confirm...but I doid
hear it was on the map...If it were then perhaps one would be able to use WADL definitionss too (in conjunction with WADL
processor), in addition to other definitions...

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi Dan