Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/03/28 15:16:47 UTC

license on Flint.

platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/editor/sparql/
flint-editor.js

has the Apache contributed software header on it.  It says it's under a
  contributor license agreement but it's not is it?

Flint is recorded as MIT-licenced

(Other flint-originated files seem to be the same.)

Has automation accidentally relabelled it?

Has this happened elsewhere?

	Andy

Re: license on Flint.

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

2013/3/28 Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>

>> Sergio, can you please re-check all 3rd party source files whether they
>> have been updated by the plugin incorrectly?
>>

> Looks like every case can be different (very) :-(
>
> How about we draw up a list of modules and split the task of checking each
> one.  A discussion and process on dev@ for the community.

The NOTICE file in the source root *should* contain the complete list of
3rd party works at the moment, so it should suffice to check there. In any
case, it is always worthwhile synchronizing the NOTICE file again with all
the modules. Javascript libraries will only be contained in the modules
under the platform/ reactor.

> We're suffering because of the various levels and interpretation of how
> 3rd parties apply license info.
>
> (I am wondering about putting a NOTICE/LICENCE in every included
> dependency then no need to put in top level N&L. Other mentors - thoughts?)

This was my original thought as well - in this case it might even not be
necessary to have all the NOTICEs in the binary distributions (the jar
files retrieved via Maven contain that info). On the other hand, if I
follow the 4th guiding principle in

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#principles

then I'd say we should make it as easy as possible for users of our
software to see what they are getting into. I am now listing even the BSD
and MIT licensed dependencies there also, because it simply might be a
relevant information for the user, even if (s)he is not restricted any more
by these licenses than by the Apache License. In this, I am mostly
following the SOLR example:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/NOTICE.txt

They also include jQuery, D3, ... in the NOTICE file, even though they are
MIT licensed.

Greetings,

Sebastian

Re: license on Flint.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 28/03/13 14:29, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> you are right, the header should not be there (and the NOTICE file also
> mentions the MIT license correctly). The reason why this was automatically
> added is probably that the file did not have its own license header before.
> I begin regretting a bit the use of the license header plugin ...

:-|

Re: license on Flint.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi,

On 28/03/13 15:29, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
> Sergio, can you please re-check all 3rd party source files whether they
> have been updated by the plugin incorrectly?

Yes, I guess this is the source of the issue: we applied the headers
plugin in LMF, and now we have it here. So I'll try to fix it. Apologize
for it.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Salzburg Research

Re: license on Flint.

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Re: license on Flint.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 28/03/13 14:16, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> platform/marmotta-sparql/src/main/resources/web/admin/editor/sparql/
> flint-editor.js
>
> has the Apache contributed software header on it.  It says it's under a
>   contributor license agreement but it's not is it?
>
> Flint is recorded as MIT-licenced
>
> (Other flint-originated files seem to be the same.)
>
> Has automation accidentally relabelled it?
>
> Has this happened elsewhere?

SNORQL seems to suffered as well.

/*
  * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
  * or more contributor license agreements.

in various files.

sparql.js has a two statements and it's
   Copyright (c) 2006, 2007
     Lee Feigenbaum ( lee AT thefigtrees DOT net )
	Elias Torres   ( elias AT torrez DOT us )
     Wing Yung      ( wingerz AT gmail DOT com )

	Andy