Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Acheson <gs...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/27 04:38:18 UTC

Per-segment faceting and soft commits

Using solr 4.0, I have 2 fields that I'm faceting on using facet.method=fcs.
After the first facet query I can see the two fields in the fieldValueCache.
If I
then issue a soft commit at /update/json?softCommit=true and again look at
the
fieldValueCache the two entries are now gone.

I was thinking that since the commit did not create a new segement the
caches would be reused but the query time and absence of the cache values
indicate
everything was flushed.

Am I incorrectly using this feature and/or incorrectly assuming the
fieldValueCache
should stay populated? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated,
thanks!

Re: Per-segment faceting and soft commits

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Jonathan,

I wonder why softCommit does not create a new segment? I thought it doesn't
call flush/fsync for a new segment. Can you give a reference to your
explanation?
Then, I guess, as far "fieldValueCache" is not a Solr cache but monitoring
wrapper ontop of Lucene per-segment cache, what you see just says that
fieldcache has not been warmed for the last new segment.
Only that segment will create fieldCache on the folowing request. You've
got the trouble only if somewhere you obtain fieldcache for top level
searcher.