Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2006/06/23 18:27:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Just relax everyone

This gentleman (?) has been manually removed from the list and
permanently banned from posting in the future.

Luiehui:  You have proven yourself to be, at the least, very selfish
and impolite.  You are no longer welcome on this list, and I recommend
staying away from all open mailing lists, since you seem unable to
understand basic principles of good conduct.

Thousands of people have managed to subscribe to and unsubscribe from
this list using the instructions given.  A few occasionally have
problems (usually because they have not carefully read the
instructions).  These people can have their problems easily solved by
mailing users-owner<at>httpd.apache.org (as mentioned in list admin
messages) or by sending a single polite email to the list asking for
help.  But you chose to instead selfishly make your small problem a
problem for the thousands of subscribers to this list.  If I were you,
I'd be deeply embarrassed.

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] Just relax everyone

Posted by Tony Heal <th...@pace2020.com>.
I read the bottom of the list emails and sent a request to
users-help@httpd.apache.org and here is the response. Notice the following
instructions in particular:

<us...@httpd.apache.org>

And

users-owner@httpd.apache.org. Please be patient, my owner is a
lot slower than I am ;-)

Tony

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Michael Guyver <ke...@googlemail.com>.
> > I am not sure - if there is a problem with the system we lost a chance
> > to find and fix it. If the problem leads to many non english users and
> > small businesses to avoid using the lists we all lose out.

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether I can be of any assistance here, as I have tried
to unsubscribe my hotmail account with the 'kenevel' username and move
to a gmail/googlemail account instead as the new hotmail interface
does not allow you to post in plain text.

19/06/2006 at 13:45:57 to
users-unsubscribe-<usernameremoved>=hotmail.com@httpd.apache.org

As of right now I'm still getting mail from the httpd-users' mailing
list to the address I tried to unsubscribe. If you've got any
questions about what I did, I'd be happy to answer them.

Regards

Michael

Re: [users@httpd] Just relax everyone

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/26/06, Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I am not sure - if there is a problem with the system we lost a chance
> to find and fix it. If the problem leads to many non english users and
> small businesses to avoid using the lists we all lose out.

You are deluding yourself if you think that it was possible to
sensibly debug this problem with Mr. Xu.  His actions proved beyond a
doubt that there was no hope of a reasonable dialogue.

On the other hand, people who politely address themselves to me or to
the list almost always get help with their problems.  The first line
of help is usually "look at the instructions at the bottom of every
message".  But people who report problems with these instructions
almost always get further detailed help.

As far as problems with non-english users, that is highly unlikely.
Apache.org hosts hundreds of mailing lists with well over 50,000 total
subscribers.  If there was any systematic issue of this type, I would
have heard about it.  There may be other issues that apply to very
small subsets of users, and I would be happy discussing a problem with
anyone who believes they face such an issue.  I will not deal with
people who are rude or inconsiderate to others, except by banishing
them from the list.

Posted by Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> There are all kinds of possible explanations.  Most of them involve an
> error on the part of the people trying to unsubscribe; but it is also
> possible there is a problem with the list management software or the
> apache.org configuration.  (For example, I know one person had a
> problem because apache.org was bouncing the his unsubscribe request as
> spam.  We fixed that.)

I suspect he is not the only one.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/26/06, Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote:
> > This gentleman (?) has been manually removed from the list and
> > permanently banned from posting in the future.
>
> There is a *small* possibility that he and the german sounding person
> with the same complaint were having a problem with non latin-1 chars
> in their email address.
>
> I assume this was investigated and rejected?

There are all kinds of possible explanations.  Most of them involve an
error on the part of the people trying to unsubscribe; but it is also
possible there is a problem with the list management software or the
apache.org configuration.  (For example, I know one person had a
problem because apache.org was bouncing the his unsubscribe request as
spam.  We fixed that.)

But that is irrelevant to the discussion here.  Problems are delt with
by calmly and politely requesting help.  Mailbombing the list is a
solution for nothing.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Just relax everyone

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/12/06, Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Hi Jacqui and *,
> > I have found some mailinglist managesrs, which reject E-Mails
> > IF in the "From:" header are non RFC-2047 encoded caracters.
>
> This makes sense - I have had similar problems with a
> email filtering system in perl - the number of messages that
> have incorrectly encoded headers and content is just plain scary.
>
> I also find it regrettable that instead of trying to find the problem
> the list ends up blacklisting people after being told it must be thier
> fault. :-(

Try reading all the emails on the subject before saying silly things
like that about the volunteers that manage this list.

The only people blacklisted are those that mailbombed the list or
threatend to do so.

Anyone who has politely asked for help has gotten it, even when they
chose not to read the clear instructions.

Posted by Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com>.
Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hi Jacqui and *,
> I have found some mailinglist managesrs, which reject E-Mails
> IF in the "From:" header are non RFC-2047 encoded caracters.

This makes sense - I have had similar problems with a
email filtering system in perl - the number of messages that
have incorrectly encoded headers and content is just plain scary.

I also find it regrettable that instead of trying to find the problem
the list ends up blacklisting people after being told it must be thier
fault. :-(

Jacqui

[users@httpd] Re: Just relax everyone

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@freenet.de>.
Hi Jacqui and *,

Am 2006-06-26 09:12:49, schrieb Jacqui Caren:

> There is a *small* possibility that he and the german sounding person
> with the same complaint were having a problem with non latin-1 chars
> in their email address.

I have found some mailinglist managesrs, which reject E-Mails
IF in the "From:" header are non RFC-2047 encoded caracters.

Which mean, broken Windows Clients which asum always Winsuck
charsets or webmail client which send UTF-8 witout encoding
messages to quoted-printable or base64.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: [users@httpd] Just relax everyone

Posted by Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com>.