Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Xunyun Liu <xu...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/28 05:41:34 UTC

What will Storm do when a supervisor is manually killed?

​Hi Storm fellows, ​I've got a simple question and would like to have a
quick answer.

Let's say a storm topology is running on a cluster without any supervision,
at the beginning it is behaving properly and have a balanced distribution.
But you know, sometimes errors may occur and bring down the supervisor
daemon or even the whole machine. I am just wondering in such kind of
situations what action storm will take to guarantee the fault resilience?
E.g. when I use "Ctrl+C" to terminate the supervisor or manually shut down
the machine to simulate those two different kinds of crash, I found that
storm will automatically allocate the lost slots to another machine and
just keeping running,  is it a implicit invocation of rebalancing command?
It is a transparent way to deal with supervisor error but what if I got the
lost machine back after several minutes of downtime ? Is there any  out of
box method that could automatically  rebalance the topology again and put
the revival supervisor or machine back to work?

Any answer to this will be greatly appreciated, Thanks. :-)