Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Seliverstov Igor <gv...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/21 11:17:48 UTC

Null cache names

Hi Roman,

As far as I inderstand you're the author of the Redis protocol
implementation.

Currently I'm working on a task to prohibit null names for caches and I've
found that current implementation implies using of default (aka null named)
cache as a Redis database.

So, I need your assistance to implement Redis databases and mappings them
to particular caches.

Is it in your plans to do it in near time?

If not I'll appriciate your thoughts on how to do it properly)

Regards,
Igor

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
Copying Roman S. in the discussion.

—
Denis

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Alexey,
Thank you for sharing the idea.
"REDIS_CACHE" can be specified in xml or programmatically (as in your example). If not, Ignite will behave in the same way when a cache the user intends to use is not created (I think it will produce an error or warning).I.e. it is a normal cache a user enables and configures when enabling Redis protocol.
Roman

    On Monday, April 24, 2017 3:35 PM, Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org> wrote:

 Roman,
Just as idea, how about in case of user does not configured "REDIS_CACHE" then create it via ignite.getOrCreateCache(new CacheConfiguration("REDIS_CACHE"))and prin warning to log "REDIS_CACHE not configured, using default partitioned cache".
What do you think?
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

Denis, Igor,
What can be done now
1. create a default cache name for Redis data, e.g. "REDIS_CACHE" that has to be configured explicitly in xml file (as it is done with other caches) by a user if he/she needs Redis protocol.
2. Force users to specify cache names as prefix to their keys, so that we can parse and switch between caches.
The 1st one is a very quick fix I can do today. This can be extended in future to have a separate cache for each data type.
Roman

    On Monday, April 24, 2017 12:15 AM, Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com> wrote:

 Roman, would you suggest a quick solution for the redis integration or even
implement it in the nearest couple of days? We need to change the defaul
cache name in 2.0. Otherwise, it can be done only in an year or so in 3.0.

Denis

--
Alexey Kuznetsov

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Roman! As I see the changes have been already incorporated in 2.0.

Please document them on 2.0 specific Redis documentation:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/redis-20 <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/redis-20>

—
Denis

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Denis,
PR is created. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5083 for review.

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Vladimir,

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Folks,

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Shall we add the notes to REST and memcached docs pages that "default" cache has to be specified in xml configs? Otherwise it is not created and "cacheName" cannot be optional (as REST API docs say) -- no default cache.

https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/rest-api

-- Roman

    On Monday, April 24, 2017 10:43 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> wrote:

 Can we just use the name "default" in such cases?

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Seliverstov Igor <gv...@gmail.com>.
Dear Igniters,

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Seliverstov Igor <gv...@gmail.com>.
Roman,

Why can't we use just some kind of mapping to bind Redis database ID to
cache name and define it via xml or programmatically?

In this case 0 database will be mapped to a default cache, so that we won't
break abstraction in Redis terms.

Regards,
Igor

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Vladimir,
Probably we may set the cache name via https://redis.io/commands/client-setname, save it and use until the user specifies another name.
#That will be the name for the default cache (mainly for STRING data). For other data types, like hashes (https://redis.io/topics/data-types), I am thinking about putting data into caches specified by key.
Or use https://redis.io/commands/config-set CONFIG SET DFLT_CACHE cache_name,and save cache name somewhere in Ignite cluster (what is the proper place to store such info?).

Re: Null cache names

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Roman,