Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Phil Fitzpatrick <fi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/26 18:00:15 UTC

HELP!!!

How do I speak to a REAL person at this company so I can get some REAL
help???

Phil Fitzpatrick
Duluth, MN

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Phil,

you have already read, how this community can help you. But I understand
your wish for a person, who can look directly on your PC. Have you
already searched for a "linux user group" in your town? Those people are
likely familiar with LibreOffice, which is very similar to Apache
OpenOffice and they are known to be willing to help people in using open
source applications.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 27-Mar-15 04:00, Phil Fitzpatrick wrote:
> How do I speak to a REAL person at this company so I can get some REAL
> help???

What about telling your REAL problem first and see if you can get REAL
help here.

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
!. This is not a company.
2. It is a mailing list consisting of mostly users (as opposed to developers) of AOO.
3. All the users are real, except for the ones that are virtual.
4. Virtual users are controlled by an Artificial Stupidity System; don't listen to them.
5. Please tell us what problem you're having, and maybe the rest of us can help.

Seriously, this is a free product. Nobody gets paid for helping anybody else, so our tolerance for acerbic remarks is somewhat limited. Tell us where it hurts.

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.
On 26/03/15 17:00, Phil Fitzpatrick wrote:
> How do I speak to a REAL person at this company so I can get some REAL help?

ApacheCon 2015 is being held at Hyatt-Austin, in Austin, Texas, 13 - 17
April, 2015.
Conference registration can be done over the web at
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america

But I suspect that what you mean, is where you can get support for
Apache Open Office, either over the phone, or in person.

If so, then start with the organizations and individuals listed at
http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html
or
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/professional-support/
Vendors listed on either the LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice page,
should be able to provide the same degree of support for both programs.

There are an unknown number of additional vendors of paid support, but
do not advertize that fact. Typically, these vendors work within a small
geographic area --- maybe as large as the county in which the
organization is located in.

What that paid support includes, is all over the map:
* Instruction only;
* Fixing one document only;
* Phone only;
* email only;
* Phone & email;
* In-person;
* Phone, email, in-person;
* Fixing minor bugs;
* Fixing major bugs;
* Rewriting the software to do what you want it to do;

How the cost of the paid support is calculated, is all over the map:
* Flat rate: US$1,000 per incident;
* Flat rate: US$5,000 per hour or part thereof;
* Flat rate: US$40,000 per year;
* US$50 per person, with in minimum of χ people. (I don't know if the
firm that provided support on that basis is still in business.);

The cost of the paid support is also all over the map:
* US$30 per hour is the lowest per hour rate I've seen;
* US$5,000 is the highest per hour rate I've seen;

The bigger firms target the SMB market.
The smaller firms tend to target the SOHO market.
AFAIK, the only firm that specifically targeted the consumer market is
now out of business. (I'm ignoring the firms that provided support to
individuals, as long as the government was picking up the tab, here.)

jonathon

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> > How do I speak to a REAL person at this company so I can get some REAL
> > help???

You receive REAL Help here. The problem and help you request is important
to hundreds of users who lurk and learn

--
*Please Reply* as a delivery receipt !

*To know exactly what to say next, you have to know exactly what was said
before. Not just the words, but the meaning and the context behind them*.
Quoting Tyler Tervooren founder of Riskology.co
Next Generation Educators <http://nextgenerationeducators.blogspot.com/>

Dave's Blogs and "stuff" aka pastimes
<http://davesnewsbasket.blogspot.com/2015/03/blog-list-of-daves-blogs.html>

Dave's LinkedIn Networking Activities
<http://nextgenerationeducators.blogspot.com/p/linkedin-worlds-largest-professional.html>

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:00:15 -0500
Phil Fitzpatrick <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I speak to a REAL person at this company so I can get some REAL
> help???
>
> Phil Fitzpatrick
> Duluth, MN

As this is a free program there is no telephone help line. Your best path is to post to out User Forum at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum
with a description of your problem and information on what operating system you are using.  The forum, as also this list, is staffed by volunteers who attempt to deal with OpenOffice problems on a pro bono basis and in their own time.

User manuals for OpenOffice are at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters
These are for the older version as the manuals for the current version are still in progress, but these should sort your problems.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Tuesday, April 07, 2015 07:37:47 AM James Knott wrote:
> On 03/26/2015 01:00 PM, Phil Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > How do I speak to a REAL person at this company so I can get some REAL
> > help???
>
> There is no company.  OpenOffice is open source software developed
> largely by volunteers.  There are some who provide paid support.  Beyond
> that, there's this list, where people try to help.

I thinkthe forum would clasify as a 'real person'.

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA  ;-)

Re: HELP!!!

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Coll-Barth, Michael <
Michael.Coll-Barth@verizonwireless.com.invalid> wrote:

> How does one tell the difference?  And if you are a virtual user, how can
> we trust your answer?

Proof is in the penalty paid if bad advice is given. Members ar known for
demanding other members do not give BS answers. Peer pressure is a good way
of controlling help and unlike company help sites members have no
commercial interests. They tell it like it is.

RE: HELP!!!

Posted by "Coll-Barth, Michael" <Mi...@VerizonWireless.com.INVALID>.