Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kenny Ma <ke...@kennyma.net> on 2001/08/20 05:48:40 UTC

Error-Log file ?

I am using Tomcat 3.2.3/Redhat 7.1

I have a servlet program, the program line 1 is System.err.println("TEST")

when i run the servlet, the output goes into console

I want the err.println output to a file , what can I do ?
or how to config Tomcat ?

ps. I checked /usr/local/tomcat/logs/
It havent output to those files.

/* Kenny Ma
   kenny@kennyma.net */

Re: Error-Log file ?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Kenny Ma wrote:
> I have a servlet program, the program line 1 is System.err.println("TEST")
you would be better off using log("TEST");

> when i run the servlet, the output goes into console
stderr will... are you running linux or windows?  afaik tomcat doesn't do
anything to redirect the stdout/stderr streams.

> I want the err.println output to a file , what can I do ?
> or how to config Tomcat ?
again... I'd advise using servlet.log at least, or preferably some logging
packages like log4j (http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j).

you might also want to change your server.xml so that tc_log goes to
logs/tomcat.log if you haven't already.

> ps. I checked /usr/local/tomcat/logs/
> It havent output to those files.
servlet.log will go there (o:

hth,
cheesr
dim

RE: Error-Log file ?

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
The Unix command line allows for stderr redirection.  I'm sure there's a
command-line HOWTO somewhere that dishes out the details since I've since
forgotten =/

- r