Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1996/04/29 02:41:53 UTC

my whack at better status output

I took some time to try improving the status module output - the top half
was alright, but the listing of individual servers was a little hard to
read, particularly if you're looking for hotspots.  So, I'm attempting a
table layout, and I'd like some feedback.  The first of the two
attachments is the original, the second is my modification.

The important issues:

1) moved all the summary info to the top, slightly compressed the layout
- this area could use some more attention.

2) used short TH's in the table for compression - legend at the bottom

3) moved metrics for each entry out of the TD - for example,
kilobytes/megabytes, etc.

4) represented CPU load as one number

5) changed "date of last request start" to "seconds since last request
start" since I think that's more interesting to look at even though it's
the same data.

6) chopped off the "HTTP/1.0" from the request line

7) used no spaces between words within a TD - for example, there's a
"&nbsp;" between the GET and the requested object.  That way table data
won't wrap, instead the table will go past the right-hand margin, which I
think is preferable

8) lots of general cleanup to enhance readability of the code.

Let me know if you think any of this can not be easily generated
algorithmically.  I know we want to keep this fast and cheap, but I am
interested in appearance too.  If you guys sign off on it or approve with
minor adjustments, I can do the coding.

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/

Re: my whack at better status output

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.
Looks great in 'zilla.

Looks awful in lynx.  :(

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	<URL:http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/>
cloos@jhcloos.com	Work: cloos@io.com

Re: my whack at better status output

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.
On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> 1) moved all the summary info to the top, slightly compressed the layout
> - this area could use some more attention.

This will make the status module more complex as it will have to make
two passes at the scoreboard (and things may change in the meantime) or
have to remember everything (blurgh).

> 2) used short TH's in the table for compression - legend at the bottom

It works fine in any table-supporting-browser.  I'm happy that tables
are a default as long as there is a "?notables" version that works fine on
the other browsers.

Mark