Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ramya K Grama <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/06 04:51:37 UTC

Sharing data between web services

Hello:
Is there a way to access the HTTPSession object from the Axis2 web
service - either in the MessageReceiverInOut/Skeleton OR is there a
way to share data between webservices using OperationContext
somehow???

Here is some background info behind my question:
In our group of web services, there is a need for the web services to
have access to look up data that resides in the database.
My first approach to making this possible is:
 1: to have a CacheService that reads the lookup data from the DB and
saves it in OperationContext somehow (I need to figure out the details
of how this can be done).
 2: All other web services should be able to get hold of this java
object from the OperationContext.
 3: Since the lookup data can change, the CacheService needs to be
triggered, say every 15mins or so, by a ServletContext Listener that
will be configured to load on Tomcat startup, and sleep for 15mins or
so and re-trigger the request to the CacheService to get the fresh
data from DB and refresh the cache.
Challenge in this approach: Other web services accessing the data from
the OperationContext - not sure if this is possible????

Second approach:
1. Have a ServletContext listner, configured to load on server
startup, do the DB access to get the lookup data and store the data in
HTTPSession.
2. Have other web services access the HTTPSession object somehow (not
sure how???) and voila! problem solved!
Challenge in this approach: Not sure if a web service can have access
to a HTTPSession object of the "axis2" web application. If so how????

Has anybody else come across a similar issue, if so what has been your
approach, has it been different than the two approaches I have in
mind.
If so what are they? If not, any ideas on how I could resolve the 2
challenges in my 2 approaches?
Your timely help is highly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
wsNewbie

Sharing data between web services

Posted by Ramya K Grama <ra...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Challenges in this approach: 1. Other web services accessing the data from
the OperationContext - not sure if this is possible????
2. How do you call a web service from a servlet??

Second approach:
1. Have a ServletContext listner, configured to load on server
startup, do the DB access to get the lookup data and store the data in
HTTPSession.
2. Have other web services access the HTTPSession object somehow (not
sure how???) and voila! problem solved!
Challenge in this approach: Not sure if a web service can have access
to a HTTPSession object of the "axis2" web application. If so how????
How to call a webservice from a servlet???

Re: Sharing data between web services

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
> Thanks! I will try these suggestions and keep you posted.
>
> However, I still need to know how to call a web service from a Servlet.

You do not need to worry about that AxisServlet does that for you.

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org
http://deepal.org

Re: Sharing data between web services

Posted by Ramya K Grama <ra...@gmail.com>.
Since I need my web service to be called every 15mins or so, do I need
to have my servlet client configured as a Context Listener for that
(which will have to call AxisServlet, which will then call my web
service) or is there a simpler way to call my web service every
15mins.
How can I tell the AxisServlet about which web service to call? Is it
a configuration in axis2.xml? If so is there some documentation on
that which will help a lot.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi