Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/14 02:32:10 UTC

[vote] cleaning up jira by renaming v1 to v1m1

All--

  In the course of releasing Beehive 1.0 v1m1, we overloaded the use
of the "V1" release Fix Version in JIRA to really mean "V1m1".  The
result is that we've now stolen the "V1" release version from the bug
tracking system making it harder to explain how to file / fix bugs
going forward.

  It appears that JIRA has a "merge" option for releases, and given
this, I believe that we can take the bugs currently with a "Fix
Version" in "V1" and reassign them to a new release "V1m1".

  This would allow us to use the "V1" moniker for work that is going
on as we actually move toward a 1.0 (Incubating) release.  We could
then bring bugs back from TBD that will be fixed before 1.0

  So, I'd like to suggest that we rename the "V1" bugs to "V1m1" and
use "V1" to mean the bugs going forward en route to 1.0.  Please vote!

Eddie

Vote:
[+1] Yes, push the "V1" bugs back to "V1m1"
[0]  Abstain / not sure / don't care.
[-1] No, leave the bugs in "V1".  If you vote this way, please provide
an explanation and add a new moniker for what to actually call 1.0
that isn't "V1".  :)

Re: [vote] cleaning up jira by renaming v1 to v1m1

Posted by Bryan Che <bc...@redhat.com>.
+1

Bryan

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.
All--

  This is now complete (JIRA rocks!).  I also made a couple of other
JIRA changes:

- changed the v1 alpha, v1 beta, v1 m1 releases to be 'released' which
means that they show up differently in the select boxes when
manipulating bugs
- added a 'system controls' category under which the JDBC, JMS, EJB,
and web service control bugs should be filed
- recreated the V1 release which should now be empty

  So, I've left all bugs in TBD as we probably need to be selective
about the bugs we're going to fix before a 1.0 (Incubating) release.
Also, anything fixed since V1m1 can be brought back and marked V1.

  We might consider, in the long run, having a 'v.next' version so
that JIRA doesn't imply the release # of the subsequent release.  This
would make it easier to change a release name since we can always just
mrege releases in JIRA.  But, the bug system is setup for moving
toward 1.0 (Incubating) now.

Eddie

Posted by Eddie ONeil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kyle Marvin <ky...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Richard Feit <ri...@bea.com>.
+1

Eddie ONeil wrote:

>All--
>
>  In the course of releasing Beehive 1.0 v1m1, we overloaded the use
>of the "V1" release Fix Version in JIRA to really mean "V1m1".  The
>result is that we've now stolen the "V1" release version from the bug
>tracking system making it harder to explain how to file / fix bugs
>going forward.
>
>  It appears that JIRA has a "merge" option for releases, and given
>this, I believe that we can take the bugs currently with a "Fix
>Version" in "V1" and reassign them to a new release "V1m1".
>
>  This would allow us to use the "V1" moniker for work that is going
>on as we actually move toward a 1.0 (Incubating) release.  We could
>then bring bugs back from TBD that will be fixed before 1.0
>
>  So, I'd like to suggest that we rename the "V1" bugs to "V1m1" and
>use "V1" to mean the bugs going forward en route to 1.0.  Please vote!
>
>Eddie
>
>Vote:
>[+1] Yes, push the "V1" bugs back to "V1m1"
>[0]  Abstain / not sure / don't care.
>[-1] No, leave the bugs in "V1".  If you vote this way, please provide
>an explanation and add a new moniker for what to actually call 1.0
>that isn't "V1".  :)

Join CEO Alfred Chuang and CTO Mark Carges on June 15 for a unique online
event, giving you the first look at a new category of enterprise software
built specifically for Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA).

Register Now.  It's Free!

http://www.bea.com/events/june15