Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nitin Arora <AR...@YAHOO.COM> on 2012/01/26 22:18:04 UTC

Multiple Data Directories and 1 SOLR instance

Hi,

We are using SOLR/Lucene to index/search the data about the user's of an
organization. The nature of data is brief information about the user's work.
Our data index requirement is to have segregated stores for each
organization and currently we have 10 organizations and we have to run 10
different instances of SOLR to serve search results for an organization. As
the new organizations are joining it is getting difficult to manage these
many instances.

I think now there is a need to use 1 SOLR instance and then have 10/multiple
different data directories for each organization.

When index/search request is received in SOLR we decide the data directory
based on the organization.

	1. Is it possible to do the same in SOLR and how can we achieve the same?
	2. Will it be a good design to use SOLR like this?
	3. Is there any impact on the scalability if we are able to manage the
separate data directories inside SOLR?

Thanks in advance

Nitin

Re: Multiple Data Directories and 1 SOLR instance

Posted by Nitin Arora <AR...@YAHOO.COM>.
Thanks for the reply guys (Cameron, David and Anderson).

I will go through the details of using multiple cores.

Thanks

Posted by Anderson vasconcelos <an...@gmail.com>.
Nitin,

Use Multicore configuration. For each organization, you create a new core
with especific configurations. You will have one SOLR instance and one SOLR
Admin tool to manage all cores. The configuration is simple.

Good Luck

Regards

Anderson

Posted by David Radunz <da...@boxen.net>.
Hey,

Posted by wakemaster 39 <wa...@z33k.com>.
I wish I had the link for you but it sounds like you are looking to use
solr cores.  They are separate indexes all under one solr instance. Check
out solr 3.5 example as I believe cores are now used and suggested as the
default configuration even if you only want to use one core.

Cameron