Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/22 00:03:12 UTC

[crypto] Open For Business

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/crypto/trunk/ now
contains somewhere near a reasonable crypto mailet project. please
take a look and feel free to jump in with improvements.

1. the maven site generation works ok but the content needs work.
please take a look and jump in with improvements. i think
http://james.apache.org/mailet/crypto would be a good url but this may
probably mean moving http://james.apache.org/mailet/ ->
http://james.apache.org/mailet/api.

2. it uses mailet-api-3.0-SNAPSHOT. i would prefer to use the last
mailet release.

3. i would like to think about creating a baseline release for this
component. what needs to be done?

4. i would like to merge in the work from the cryptography branch. i
think that it might be best to tidy up trunk first then create a 1.0
branch then merge in changes from the branch.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [crypto] Open For Business

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>
>>> IMHO it would be better not to ship the crypto-mailets with 3.0
>>> releases but to allow users to download the jar if they want to use
>>> the crypto stuff.
>>>
>>  Why? we'll need the crypto/export stuff for james server anyway because of
>> the SSL support in the protocols, don't we?
>
> ATM only the SMIME mailets are included in the notification
>
> IIRC java does not contain strong crypt out-of-the-box so i'm not sure
> whether a notification is needed

In this case I agree it makes sense to not ship crypto-mailets by default.

>>  PS: Should we keep the org.apache.james.security.openpgp package or is it
>> better to replace "james" with "mailet" ?
>
> not sure: this is a wider area for discussion
>
> ATM most of the mailets are packaged under org.apache.james. repacking
> them would be logical but would break compatibility.

True. Let's keep "james".

Stefano

Re: [crypto] Open For Business

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> > IMHO it would be better not to ship the crypto-mailets with 3.0
> > releases but to allow users to download the jar if they want to use
> > the crypto stuff.
> >

>  Why? we'll need the crypto/export stuff for james server anyway because of
> the SSL support in the protocols, don't we?

ATM only the SMIME mailets are included in the notification

IIRC java does not contain strong crypt out-of-the-box so i'm not sure
whether a notification is needed

> > >  What is the "cryptography branch" ?
> > >

> > the development area for Vincenzo and myself to work on OpenPGP, there
> > has been some interest lately in completing this implementation. it
> > should be *much* easier to work on this now that crypto-mailets is a
> > separate project.
> >

>  james/server/sandbox/rfc3156 !
>
>  Sorry, I totally forgot about it, and the "crypted" name didn't help
> refreshing my memory when I rarely looked at our sandboxes ;-)
>
>  +1 for merging that code
> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=494577) to mailet-crypto.

the OpenPGP/MIME stuff is incomplete but the S/MIME works. i had been
thinking about cutting an S/MIME release then merging OpenPGP/MIME in.
this would allow the versions in the 2.3.x codestream to be deleted.

Re: [crypto] Open For Business

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: [crypto] Open For Business

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

<snip>

> > 2. it uses mailet-api-3.0-SNAPSHOT. i would prefer to use the last
> > mailet release.
> >

>  +1
>  Furthermore IIRC current mailet-api trunk is really similar to mailet 2.3.
> So maybe a mailet-api 2.3.1 (should be backward compatible) should be made,
> too, before moving to 3.0-SNAPSHOT.

+0

i'm willing to support such as release but i'm not sure when i'll be
able to find the cycles to push it forward...

> > 3. i would like to think about creating a baseline release for this
> > component. what needs to be done?
> >

>  We need to update our crypto notice/export stuff. We previously declared
> only JAMES-Server 2.3.1 in the ASF pages.

yes (there are some more details to be taken care of as well)

Re: [crypto] Open For Business

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/crypto/trunk/ now
> contains somewhere near a reasonable crypto mailet project. please
> take a look and feel free to jump in with improvements.
>
> 1. the maven site generation works ok but the content needs work.
> please take a look and jump in with improvements. i think
> http://james.apache.org/mailet/crypto would be a good url but this may
> probably mean moving http://james.apache.org/mailet/ ->
> http://james.apache.org/mailet/api.

IIRC you said we could use the same approach of commons and use svn
externals to extract the trunk of each module to the "mailet" folder level.
+1 for mailet => mailet/api move.