Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bernd Kolb <b....@kolbware.de> on 2013/02/10 08:42:36 UTC

Problem with text in SVG on Mac OS and Java 6

Hi,

I have a problem with the attached SVG graphics on MacOsX Mountain Lion and
Java 6. As you can see from the attached screenshot there is no text
visible. The interesting part is however that the text is there. I can
select it and copy/paste it to a text editor. The problem can be reproduced
with batik-squiggle. If you run the save application with Java 7 everything
works ok. The SVG is generated by plantuml/graphviz.

The java version which causes the problem is:
(Apple, java version "1.6.0_26" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
1.6.0_26-b03-383-11M3909), Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build
20.1-b02-383, mixed mode))

Any help would be well appreciated. The issue really drives me insane.
Unfortunately moving to Java 7 is not possible for us :-(

Kind regards,

Bernd[image: Inline-Bild 1]

Re: Problem with text in SVG on Mac OS and Java 6

Posted by Joel Uckelman <uc...@nomic.net>.
Thus spake DeWeese Thomas:
> Hi Bernd,
>    This is a fairly well known issue with the Mac OS X version of Java.  =
> In the past adding a very slight rotation has been an effective work =
> around for this problem.  I suspect some sort of bug in the optimized =
> case of rendering GlyphVectors.

My project is having what might be the same problem (but only on Macs
with Retina displays). I'd like to try your suggestion.

Do you mean a slight rotation of the text, of the entire SVG image, or
of some intermediate element?

--
J.

Re: Problem with text in SVG on Mac OS and Java 6

Posted by Bernd Kolb <b....@kolbware.de>.
Perfect. Works for me :-)

Thank you!
Bernd