Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Kim Wegerle <ki...@web.de> on 2003/12/09 17:37:15 UTC

Hello,

I've got a really hard problem. I'm using a Struts/OJB environment for my project. Now I've got a use case where a user could add or edit one of my business objects  and relations to other business objects. This should happen in a kind of transaction, this means the user can edit an existing or new object and it's related objects via the web application interface. This means that many requests must be processed, before the user presses accept or discard.
My problem is that I'm not really sure how to implement this.  Is it a good solution to make a transaction and hold it open until it is sure wheter a commit or a rollback should be done. Or would it be a better solution to clone the edited objects and finally discard or store these clones ?
Or is there even a perfect solution ?

I would be happy for every answer.

Best regards

Kim

Re:

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Which API are you using? If ODMG (or OTM) than maintaining a single
transaction through multiple requests should work fine -- it is an
object transaction, not a database transaction, so the database
resource isn't being tied up the whole time.

Doing a lot of this can get memory intensive, however.

-Brian