Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/02 10:24:22 UTC

Apache Community Metrics & projects.apache.org

Hi

I spoke to Manrique at FOSDEM over the weekend so am forwarding his
request to the Comdev list.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Jose Manrique Lopez de la Fuente <js...@bitergia.com>.
Hi,

Good to see also Sergio around!

I know that the topic has been already discussed through some conversations
we had with the ASF in the past. It has been good to review your discussion
to see your main concerns. We fully understand every concern posted,
because most of them arise usually during the FLOSS Community Metrics
meeting we coorganize (http://flosscommunitymetrics.org/).

That said, I am sure we can find a way to collaborate and an scope that
fits both sides. I would like to have an open discussion about how we could
make this collaboration happens.

Following Sergio's different aspects that should be discussed:
* Cost: I would suggest to start "small" to show what could be done. Our
current pricing schema is public, but everything can be discussed to find a
deal. One possible option would be to define a project to help you setting
up the infrastructure needed to use our platform with your data sources.
>From there, we could provide a maintenance subscription price, or you could
run everything from your side.
* Infrastructure requirements: Currently infra needed is more related with
having the data sources available, since mostly everything could be
installed on our side. Of course, it can be deployed on your side, and we
could discuss about the options too.
* Technical proposition: I know you are using current deployed dashboards
[1] as reference, but I would recommend taking a look into new Kibana based
dashboards or the demo built for FOSDEM [2]. Regarding the new Open
Development Analytics platform we have presented on FLOSS Community Metrics
[3] and during FOSDEM, it helps a lot on creating custom reports and
cross-foundational analysis. It also provides a REST API (through current
ElasticSearch implementation) that allow third parties or customers to
consume data for their own needs.

On the other hand, there are other possible services like reports (internal
or public) that might be interesting. On any case, we could set up a
meeting or keep discusing through the mailing list to set up a deal..

Thank you very much and best regards,

[1] http://bitergia.com/projects.html
[2] http://s.bitergia.com/db-fosdem16
[3] https://speakerdeck.com/jgbarah/grimoirelab-whats-next