Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Perez <al...@telecom1.com> on 2002/02/06 15:02:12 UTC

Tomcat +JSSE problem

Hello!

	I'm having a nightmare trying to get Tomcat v:3.3 working properly with JSSE.
	So far, this is what I've done:

[System]: Win2K Server + Apache + Tomcat 3.3 + jdk1.3.1 + JSSE1.0.2
	Installed JSSE on $JAVA_HOME\jre\lib\ext

	Created keystore (as indicated in the tomcat SSL howto) with keytool for testing purposes.

	modified the java.security to include the sun provider in
		$JAVA_HOME\jre\lib\security and in
		D:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\lib\security

	modified Server.xml to work in port 443 (also tried 8443), set the path to the key, etc.

	to be on the safe side, i used:
        System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs","com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
        Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());

NOW:
	Tomcat starts OK (Keystore found, ports 443, 8007 & 8009 up, etc).
	Servlets are executed OK in http
	When trying to access a https page (ex: https://localhost/sslexample/servlet/test)
	The following happens:
		- A box appears on the browser indicating a security alert with the
			certificate created before (i can view all the values) .
		- an exception is thrown in the tomcat terminal window:

2002-02-06 12:25:34 - Ctx() : IOException in R( /) - java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
		... (rest of trace omitted)

		- If you click on [yes] on the previous message, The padlock appears in the browser
			window and I CAN VIEW THE PAGE (which in this case just shows me a version number)

	This is true for both IE and Netscape. And for JSSE installed or built as part of tomcat.

[System]: Win2k + IIS + Tomcat 3.3 + jdk1.4.0-rc
	- Keystore regenerated and placed in the right place for the servlet to find it
	- Server.xml modified, etc, etc.

NOW:
	Again tomcat works with http but there is a problem with https. In this case, and due to the
different jdk, the exception is:

	2002-02-06 12:44:03 - Ctx() : IOException in R( /) - javax.net.ssl.SSLException: error while writing to socket
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.b(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
		... Rest of trace ommited.

	- Again I CAN VIEW THE PAGE

My guess is that there may be something wrong with the keystore, but then why the SocketException??
Any ideas???

Thanx in advance.
Alex

Re: JSSE