Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/10/15 14:24:00 UTC

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #230: On custom query screen, show recent queries by the users

On 15/10/12 13:10, Apache Bloodhound wrote:
> #230: On custom query screen, show recent queries by the users
> --------------------------+--------------------------
>    Reporter:  jdreimann    |      Owner:  nobody
>        Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
>   Component:  ui design    |    Version:
> Resolution:               |   Keywords:  custom query
> --------------------------+--------------------------
> Changes (by jdreimann):
>
>   * keywords:   => custom query
>

> Old description:
>
>> ,, ... via ''Bloodhound'' quick create ticket dialog,,
> New description:
>
>   This could be the three most recent queries by the user for example.
>
>   From a design perspective, this could simply show a list of links to those
>   queries at the top of the Custom Query screen:
>
>   {{{
>   #!html
>   <h4>Most recent queries</h4>
>   <ol>
>     <li><a href="">Milestone: Release 2, Owner: gjm, Status:
>   !closed</a></li>
>   </ol>
>   }}}
>
> --
> Ticket URL:<https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/230#comment:1>

Quite a nice idea. Any thoughts about providing a longer history
available somewhere?

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #230: On custom query screen, show recent queries by the users

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
/me removing top-posting

On 10/16/12, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Joachim Dreimann <
> joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm also thinking users should be able to 'pin' or
>> 'favourite' queries if they so choose so that they stay available on the
>> page.
>> That would give us the freedom to repurpose the Reports section to
>> something more like a report: Reporting (over time) on progress /
>> objectives / activity. That's something for a different ticket of course.
>>

> I would go even further. Beyond pinning, user should be able to name and
> change them.

This is already possible by saving custom queries (they'll be shown in
report list) . Maybe the only characteristic that's missing is to make
this more like a user preference rather than an admin task . Maybe
there's an equivalent quick hack if we play with resource-specific
permissions for reports .

[...]

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #230: On custom query screen, show recent queries by the users

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
I think we should separate out these discussions on custom query and reports to stay on topic.

The scope of this ticket is to show recent custom queries. I'd say we can maybe expand it to allow users to 'pin' queries and rename them, those seem like popular features.

Everything else should be a separate ticket and discussion.

Cheers,
Joe

________________________
@jdreimann - Twitter
Sent from my phone

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 16/10/12 15:17, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 10/16/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> Names for queries/reports sounds reasonable. It is interesting to think
>>> how we might deal with providing wiki links for per-user defined
>>> queries.
>>>
>> just like reports links ?
>
> Is that a suggestion or a question?

both . I was suggesting custom queries can be saved and also asking
whether this would be ( ok | enough )
;)

> I'm just suggesting that query links
> that are referred to by a synonym provided by a user may have some
> interesting issues when attempting to share them. I don't mean to
> suggest that it is insurmountable of course.

... but if they become saved queries somehow ... then you already got
it => report links already there ;)

[...]
>>> To be able to have graphical
>>> representations of this data, with potentially arbitrary x and y axes
>>> would be great as well.
>> +1 ... an enhanced version of TracGVizPlugin might help with the part
>> of potentially arbitrary x and y axis .
>
> I am not sure that users will want their servers to be sending data to
> google. I think I would prefer to explore other solutions.

Yes , that's why I said «... an enhanced version of ...» because the
idea is to implement local js widgets , and reuse plugin architecture
to render Trac data in graphs .

>>> It would also be useful to be able to have
>>> reports that allow the setting of a variable, say for specifying a month
>>> so that you can use a single report to generate monthly reporting.
>>>
>> I'm not aware of all details in reports , but afaicr this was already
>> possible using report vars [1]_ ... isn't it ?
>>
>> .. [1] TracReports - Using Variables in a Query
>>
>> (http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracReports#UsingVariablesinaQuery)
>>

> Well, this is only part of the solution. In fact when you try it, at
> least in bloodhound currently, you require the variable to be set in the
> querystring. I am pretty much suggesting that we could have a view with
> a control to provide the ability to set that value.

now I get it .
;)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 16/10/12 15:17, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 10/16/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> Names for queries/reports sounds reasonable. It is interesting to think
>> how we might deal with providing wiki links for per-user defined queries.
>>
> just like reports links ?

Is that a suggestion or a question? I'm just suggesting that query links

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Names for queries/reports sounds reasonable. It is interesting to think
how we might deal with providing wiki links for per-user defined queries.

I don't think that we should be repurposing the Reports section, rather
we should be expanding the purpose. That the page is there to provide
links to lists of tickets is fine. To be able to have graphical
representations of this data, with potentially arbitrary x and y axes
would be great as well. It would also be useful to be able to have
reports that allow the setting of a variable, say for specifying a month
so that you can use a single report to generate monthly reporting.

Working on improving reports sounds like it is going to be a whole lot
of fun!

Cheers,
Gary

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.