Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mike Gardiner <mg...@novell.com> on 1999/10/01 06:07:46 UTC

Apache 1.3.9 port to NetWare 5

Attached is a zip containing the diffs of the Apache 1.3.9 port to NetWare 5.

Here's some information about the port:

1.  It follows the WIN32 port since NetWare only has threads and no processes.
2.  It uses Winsock since it is available beginning with NetWare 5.
3.  It has SSL support built into the main code since Winsock on NetWare
     supports SSL.  This is accomplished with only 3 winsock function calls.
     One to create the socket and then two ioctl calls.
4.  NetWare currently doesn't have pipes but this is being implemented now
     and will be available soon.
5.  By default Apache will run in ring 0 (kernel mode) but will also run in protected
     (ring 3) address space by specifying "LOAD PROTECTED" at the console.
6.  The port was done with the Metrowerks Codewarrior 4 compiler.

I anxiously yet patiently await your feedback...

Thanks in advance.

Mike Gardiner
Novell
mgardiner@novell.com

Re: Apache 1.3.9 port to NetWare 5

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > 3.  It has SSL support built into the main code since Winsock on NetWare
> >      supports SSL.  This is accomplishes with only 3 winsock function calls.
> >      One to create the socket and then two ioctl calls.
>
> Also, is there any risk at all to having hooks to Netware's SSL
> implementation? I wouldn't think so, because common sense doesn't
> apply here.

It would probably not pass muster with the "hooks to crypto" hard line
that the crypto spooks have tried to scare developers with.  I can ask
someone close to this issue if they think this is a current concern.

	Brian

Re: Apache 1.3.9 port to NetWare 5

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:07:46PM -0600, Mike Gardiner wrote:
> Attached is a zip containing the diffs of the Apache 1.3.9 port to
> NetWare 5.

Please just concatenate the patches together into a single file. It's
easier to read then. It's also easier to deal with patches if they are
done against the current CVS tree, so that hunks don't break. Oh, and
unified diffs are nicer too if you can make them. Thanks.

> 1.  It follows the WIN32 port since NetWare only has threads and no processes.

I can't give many useful comments on the Windowsy code. But instead of
creating a new automatic variable with the thread-specific storage for
every function, can you (ick) make it a "global" variable, and #define
your "tsd->blah"'s to "blah" so that the code is more uniform?
This should help eliminate a lot of the #ifdef NETWAREs.

> 3.  It has SSL support built into the main code since Winsock on NetWare
>      supports SSL.  This is accomplishes with only 3 winsock function calls.
>      One to create the socket and then two ioctl calls.

Also, is there any risk at all to having hooks to Netware's SSL
implementation? I wouldn't think so, because common sense doesn't
apply here.

Are you working on a 2.0 port by any chance?

"If it weren't for us you would be drooling in your laps instead of on your
keyboards!" -- Darrell Fuhriman

Re: Apache 1.3.9 port to NetWare 5

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Mike Gardiner wrote:

> Attached is a zip containing the diffs of the Apache 1.3.9 port to NetWare 5.

Very neat ! Apart from the SSL  code I see few problems.

Would it be possible for you to make _one_ unified diff ? The current
format is just a little hard to handle.

I tried it against a current cvs version (see dev.apache.org for up to
date CVS or snapshot) and a few hunks fail; and this is difficult to fix
given your format.

But I fear we might have to tone down some of the SSL stuff to make it
'without' crypto hooks; as we have done sofar.

Dw