Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Doru Mihaescu <md...@southern.edu> on 2013/06/06 16:26:47 UTC

James 3 - LDAP

Hello,

Do any of you use LDAP authentication with James 3?  If you, are you able to have users in various ou's of the ldap?

We are able to successfully authenticate James 3 against OpenLdap that has all the users in one organizational unit.  However, when we try to authenticate users present in higher branches, we are not able to authenticate.

For instance if my userBase is: dc=example,dc=com:

user1@example.com - auth works
user2@branch1.example.com - auth does not work
user3@branch2.example.com - auth does not work

when issuing "james-cli listusers", all the users are actually displayed:
user1
user2
user3

but only user1 can be authenticated.

thank you.

-doru

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
OMG I sent the email to the wrong conversation..

Im sorry! I mean I have done different things

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kwon,

Can i ask you about your ldap-repository.conf file, or the skeleton of it.

I could not achieve what you ve succeed about multiple domains.

THanks in advance

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com>.
As i understood repository and domain different, am i right?

Hi Merve,
You can't have multiple repositories in userrepository.conf.

LDAP only manages the users. You still have to have a separate persistence
(non LDAP) for the domains
http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-domainlist.html
Thx, Eric

2013/6/6 Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com>

> Hello Mr. Charles,
>
> A bit fuzzy but i remember you told me James can not support multiple
> domains, infrastructure of it does not allow this. Was it James 2, am i
> wrong?
>
> 2013/6/6 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>
>
>> Hi,
>> That's a recurring question and any further documentation/tutorial for a
>> James/LDAP user will be welcome (as posted a few times before :).
>>
>> Thx, Eric
>>

>> On 06/06/2013 15:26, Doru Mihaescu wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Do any of you use LDAP authentication with James 3?  If you, are you
>>> able to have users in various ou's of the ldap?
>>>

>>> We are able to successfully authenticate James 3 against OpenLdap that
>>> has all the users in one organizational unit.  However, when we try to
>>> authenticate users present in higher branches, we are not able to
>>> authenticate.
>>>
>>> For instance if my userBase is: dc=example,dc=com:
>>>
>>> user1@example.com - auth works
>>> user2@branch1.example.com - auth does not work
>>> user3@branch2.example.com - auth does not work
>>>
>>> when issuing "james-cli listusers", all the users are actually displayed:
>>> user1
>>> user2

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mr. Charles,

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Yeah, that would be great. Please also ensure that the changes don't
break with some 'classical' ldap (openldap,...) and are not
activedirectory proprietary.

Upon the source patch, documentation would be great.

Excellent!

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello Seyoum,

The proper way is to create an issue on jira [1] and add submit the
patch that way and approve the ASF license.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM, seyoum tesfay <sy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been working hard to make James 3.0-beta4 to work with LDAP. I am
> using Active Directory and have finally made modifications to the server
> code and it is working fine now. I needed to share the code that I have but
> I don't know where to put the code. AM I going to share it here in the
> mailing list or somewhere else?
>
> regards.
>

> *
> *
> *..................*
> Seyoum T.
> Granite IT Solutions PLC, www.graniteinfosystems.com
> P.o.Box: 1641
> Mob: +251-921018195
>

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> To write tutorial, one need to know how it works and what's possible...
>> Do know how it works and what's possible, one need to read tutorial...
>>
>> Classical chicken-and-egg issue.
>>
>> Conclusion, go deep, deep, deep in the code, test, test, test, extract the
>> best and share it.
>>

>> On 17/08/13 21:05, Merve Temizer wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Mr. Charles,
>>>
>>> Do you mean by saying you welcome tutorials that it may be possible to
>>> auth
>>> James with LDAP branch leaves?
>>>
>>> This is a recurring question i know, but is there a possibility if we
>>> deeply search James source code and how does it work?
>>>
>>> Sorry
>>>

>>> 2013/6/6 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>
>>>
>>>  Hi,

Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by seyoum tesfay <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
To write tutorial, one need to know how it works and what's possible...
Do know how it works and what's possible, one need to read tutorial...

Classical chicken-and-egg issue.

Conclusion, go deep, deep, deep in the code, test, test, test, extract
the best and share it.

On 17/08/13 21:05, Merve Temizer wrote:
> Hello Mr. Charles,
>
> Do you mean by saying you welcome tutorials that it may be possible to auth
> James with LDAP branch leaves?
>
> This is a recurring question i know, but is there a possibility if we
> deeply search James source code and how does it work?
>
> Sorry
>

> 2013/6/6 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>
>
>> Hi,
>> That's a recurring question and any further documentation/tutorial for a
>> James/LDAP user will be welcome (as posted a few times before :).
>>
>> Thx, Eric
>>

>> On 06/06/2013 15:26, Doru Mihaescu wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Do any of you use LDAP authentication with James 3?  If you, are you able
>>> to have users in various ou's of the ldap?
>>>

>>> We are able to successfully authenticate James 3 against OpenLdap that
>>> has all the users in one organizational unit.  However, when we try to
>>> authenticate users present in higher branches, we are not able to
>>> authenticate.
>>>
>>> For instance if my userBase is: dc=example,dc=com:
>>>
>>> user1@example.com - auth works
>>> user2@branch1.example.com - auth does not work
>>> user3@branch2.example.com - auth does not work
>>>
>>> when issuing "james-cli listusers", all the users are actually displayed:
>>> user1
>>> user2

Re: James 3 - LDAP

Posted by Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com>.