Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/02 10:39:36 UTC

Re: Taglibs sub-site

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 3:38 AM, kkolinko@apache.org wrote:
>>
>> Author: kkolinko
>> Date: Fri Feb 27 11:38:13 2015
>> New Revision: 1662662

>> Log:
>> Announcement for Standard Taglib 1.2.3.
>>
>> I do not like the CVE link (goes to announce@a.o mail archive) and CHANGES link (goes to SVN), as I noted in a FIXME comment in index.xml.  Any better ideas?
>
> We could add a security-taglibs page to the main site and link from the security.html page.

+1. I think that is how it should be.

> I find the frankensite, as Henri called it, a pain in general. I’m thinking about merging it in with the main Tomcat site source and give it an overhaul (including moving away from using Maven to build it).
>
> It integrates Taglibs more with the main Tomcat project structure. Does anyone have any concern about that?

Generally yes, but I see the following concerns:

1) How to maintain the list of changes.

It is useful to update it in the same commit when you perform the changes.

Well, it can be maintained in project and copied to the site after a release.

2) The site will be absent from the "sources" archive?

Generally there is no requirement to include it, and usually the site
is updated after a release.

But a read-me is needed in the source archive. A changes list is
useful to have as well, but not mandatory.

3) Maven can generate some "reports". Are those useful?

The current standard taglib page does not use them.
The RDC taglib page uses them, but from the look at those "Project
Information" pages I think the same information can be represented as
several simple pages.  An exception is "dependencies" report, if
anybody is using it. I am OK without it.

It is also possible to keep the site sources in-project and generate
it via Ant.  (Weak precedents of using different technologies for the
code and the site are mod_jk and tc-native.  The site is built with
Ant. The code uses different tools.)

+1 to move site to Ant.
+0.5 for everything else. (I'll see how it goes. It is better to
review the actual changes).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko