Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Vi...@Gmail, wa...@gmail.com on 2016/10/06 15:59:56 UTC

Problem with Sort in Calc

Windows 10, desktop,

AOO412m3(Build:9782)  -  Rev. 1709696
2015-10-21 09:53:29 (Mi, 21 Okt 2015)

When sorting data in AOO Calc, must the "key" text  data be located in
the leftmost column? It seems that it is so.

Regards,

VinceB.

Re: Problem with Sort in Calc

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
No, it is not true.

Let’s assume for this example that your spreadsheet has six columns: Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Phone

We want to sort this list by City, so do this:

Select the top left cell in your table. In our example, it is cell A1.
Next, select Data->Sort…
This should select all cells within the table. A dialog box will appear. At the top of the dialog, you are given two tabs: Sort criteria, and Options. Select options.
Select the options you want, but [**important**] make sure to check “Range contains column labels”. When you’ve finished selecting, clic on Sort criteria again.
This time you should see “Sort by: Name” on the first line. Click on the disclosure triangle at the end of the “Sort by” field.
Select City instead.
Click OK.

The list is now sorted.

A warning: If you simply select the City column and sort it, only that column will be sorted, and your data will be mixed up. If that happens by accident, you should immediately select Edit->Undo. The whole table must be selected in order to sort all the rows of all the columns.

Jim

Re: Problem with Sort in Calc

Posted by "Vince B." <wa...@verizon.net>.
Sorry for my delay in replying; had email issues with my @verizon account.

Yes, I was using the Sort Ascending button, will try to remember to use Data | Sort for sorting adjacent columns of data.

Regards,
Vince

Sent from my iPad

Re: Problem with Sort in Calc