Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st> on 2001/12/03 11:03:05 UTC

HEAD is broken (was: RE: strange problem with HEAD)

I tried now 3 different machines and 3 different servlet engines...
...so I doubt this is just me.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to track it down. Berin, maybe you
have an idea? Looks like it is realated to the avalon framework
jar.
--
Torsten

Re: HEAD is broken (was: RE: strange problem with HEAD)

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> >>I also have reported an error : see
> >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100713443411193&w=2
> >>
> >>This occurs on Tomcat 4.0, JDK 1.3.0, Win 2000/98 using
> >>build webapp-local -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true
> >>

> > Berin, do you have an idea where there is the problem? Should
> > I make a post on avalon-dev? This is all quite strange and I
> > cannot see the problem. (Maybe a classloader problem?)
> >
> > I'd be happy to have a closer look... I'd like to have a working HEAD ;)
>

> can you back out the Avalon jars with the ones that were there before?

After replacing avalon-excalibur with the version from the 2.0 branch
everithing seems to work. I've also replaced it using todays snapshot of
avalon-excalibur.jar which shows a ClassLoader problem. I've put one of
those Exception reports here:

DEBUG   (2001-12-05) 11:50.48:604   [cocoon  ] (/cocoon/welcome)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/ExcaliburComponentManager: Could not find
component for role: org.apache.cocoon.reading.ReaderSelector
java.lang.NullPointerException:
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.lookup(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:273)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.lookup(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:257)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.AbstractSitemap.compose(AbstractSitemap.java:126)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:157)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:84)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.GeneratorSelector.addGenerator(GeneratorSelector.java:135)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.addCompiledComponent(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:345)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:179)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:208)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I'm using the latest Catalina (Tomcat-4) from CVS.

Giacomo

Re: HEAD is broken (was: RE: strange problem with HEAD)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

> >>I also have reported an error : see
> >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100713443411193&w=2
> >>
> >>This occurs on Tomcat 4.0, JDK 1.3.0, Win 2000/98 using
> >>build webapp-local -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true
> >>

> > Berin, do you have an idea where there is the problem? Should
> > I make a post on avalon-dev? This is all quite strange and I
> > cannot see the problem. (Maybe a classloader problem?)
> >
> > I'd be happy to have a closer look... I'd like to have a working HEAD ;)
>

> can you back out the Avalon jars with the ones that were there before?

sure thing. that's what I'm doing right now;)

I just want to help to get this fixed...
...so do you have any idea?

It's always good to have a fresh checkout that is
at least running ;)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>>Hmm.  I updated the jars in HEAD, and asked for people to give feedback
>>>because when I tested it here, it worked.  What exactly is the issue?
>>>

>>I also have reported an error : see
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100713443411193&w=2
>>
>>This occurs on Tomcat 4.0, JDK 1.3.0, Win 2000/98 using
>>build webapp-local -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true
>>

> Berin, do you have an idea where there is the problem? Should
> I make a post on avalon-dev? This is all quite strange and I
> cannot see the problem. (Maybe a classloader problem?)
>
> I'd be happy to have a closer look... I'd like to have a working HEAD ;)

can you back out the Avalon jars with the ones that were there before?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: HEAD is broken (was: RE: strange problem with HEAD)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Berin Loritsch a écrit :

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> > I tried now 3 different machines and 3 different servlet engines...
> > ...so I doubt this is just me.
> >
> > Unfortunately I wasn't able to track it down. Berin, maybe you
> > have an idea? Looks like it is realated to the avalon framework
> > jar.
>
> Hmm.  I updated the jars in HEAD, and asked for people to give feedback
> because when I tested it here, it worked.  What exactly is the issue?

I also have reported an error : see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100713443411193&w=2

This occurs on Tomcat 4.0, JDK 1.3.0, Win 2000/98 using
build webapp-local -Dinclude.webapp.libs=true

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: HEAD is broken (was: RE: strange problem with HEAD)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> > Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> > > I tried now 3 different machines and 3 different servlet engines...
> > > ...so I doubt this is just me.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I wasn't able to track it down. Berin, maybe you
> > > have an idea? Looks like it is realated to the avalon framework
> > > jar.
> >

> > Hmm.  I updated the jars in HEAD, and asked for people to give feedback
> > because when I tested it here, it worked.  What exactly is the issue?
>
> Ok, this is what I get when I deploy a fresh cocoon.war with catalina
> when cocoon should come up.
>
> > I get a ServletException with Root Cause:
> >
> > javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
> >     Provider for javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory cannot be found
> >         at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:141)
> >         at org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.<init>(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:38)
> >         at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.initLogger(CocoonServlet.java:578)
> >         at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:162)
> >
> > In the xml-apis.jar there is both the FactoryConfigurationError and the
> > javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory. As well as there is xerces in WEB-INF/lib
>
> Give me a minute and I'll post the exception from the other machine,
> too....
>
> It was always something inside the DefaultConfigurationBuilder

Logging Error: Could not set up Cocoon Logger, will use screen instead
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1111)
        at org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:128)
        at org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:107)
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.initLogger(CocoonServlet.java:579)
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:162)

This was from resin 2.04...

Any idea?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> > I tried now 3 different machines and 3 different servlet engines...
> > ...so I doubt this is just me.
> >
> > Unfortunately I wasn't able to track it down. Berin, maybe you
> > have an idea? Looks like it is realated to the avalon framework
> > jar.
>

> Hmm.  I updated the jars in HEAD, and asked for people to give feedback
> because when I tested it here, it worked.  What exactly is the issue?

Ok, this is what I get when I deploy a fresh cocoon.war with catalina
when cocoon should come up.

> I get a ServletException with Root Cause:
>
> javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
>     Provider for javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory cannot be found
>         at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:141)
>         at org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.<init>(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:38)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.initLogger(CocoonServlet.java:578)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:162)
>
> In the xml-apis.jar there is both the FactoryConfigurationError and the
> javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory. As well as there is xerces in WEB-INF/lib

Give me a minute and I'll post the exception from the other machine,
too....

It was alway something inside the DefaultConfigurationBuilder

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.