Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com> on 2016/09/17 00:47:41 UTC

Prop expansion via fileinstall but not configuration admin

The system property expansion feature of the configuration-admin
behavior of fileinstall is quite convenient. I could code it,
optionally, into confadmin. I wish I could have it without all the
other mechanism of fileinstall that I don't need. Acceptable?

Re: Prop expansion via fileinstall but not configuration admin

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.
p.s. It's always possible that I'm _wrong_, and CA is logging, but I
didn't have the log service set up soon enough. That's another reason
for me to be the one to spend time trying to make a test case.

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.
On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 1:27 PM, David Jencks
<da...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>> On Sep 17, 2016, at 10:16 AM, Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com> wrote:
>>
>> David, the only case I was concerned with is when there is a
>> pre-existing file with the syntax of my test case, which is the syntax
>> supported by fileinstall. I think that the confusion results because
>> there is some escaping convention that permits persisting a value like
>> ${foo} and reading it back, but I was not using that syntax, because I
>> was trying to move some files that were used with fileinstall in karaf
>> and use them with straight CA with plain Felix.
>
> I can’t imagine why you think that ought to work.  The persistence format for a ca implementation is an entirely internal detail.  If you want a ca implementation to be able to read a persisted configuration from a file, that file has to have been created by that same ca implementation.

Well, for what it's worth, I can explain how my imagination got
started here. I didn't know, at first, that Karaf was using
fileinstall to read these files. I thought that CA itself was reading
them from the sort of obvious 'name=value' format. When I did enough
debugging to find the role of fileinstall in Karaf, I didn't rethink
CA.

>> In practical terms,
>> I've dropped in fileinstall to make progress.
>>
>> I think that my JIRA amounts to, "If you start with a file with
>> invalid syntax, CA throws the entire file away and does not log an
>> error”.
>
> Unless the file was created by the ca implementation itself, throwing it away seems reasonable to me.  It does seem like an error would be appropriate though.
>
> So, there might be a bug (beyond possible desirable logging), but I don’t think you’ve demonstrated that yet.

I don't make any claim for any bug except a possible 'feature request'
for logging at this point.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.