Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Corbin, J.D." <jd...@pearson.com> on 2017/02/16 15:44:04 UTC

Lucene Versions

Today I noticed there is a new release of Lucene v5.5.4.  What is the major
difference(s) between the 5.x and 6.x lines of Lucene.

Thanks,

J.D. Corbin

Re: Lucene Versions

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Ah... right I misunderstood your question, thought you were asking for
the list f feature differences between 5x and 6x.

There is never much development work done that far back, this was a
special case. There will almost certainly never be features developed
on the old major version this far into the new major version.

The exception is that when a new major version is released (7.0 will
be the next) there's often quite a bit of work done on both for a
while, but it's usually:

add/fix something in trunk/7.0
backport to 6.x
backport to 5.x if and only if it's really, really important.

When 7.0 comes out, for some time it'll be:
add/fix something in trunk/8.0
backport to 7.x
backport to 6.x

Then eventually the new major version is stable/tested/etc and it
becomes increasingly hard to backport new changes. At that point
development will essentially stop on 6.x and the pattern will be
add/fix something in trunk/8.0
backport to 7.x

Best,
Erick