Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Pa...@nokia.com on 2008/06/10 15:14:22 UTC

Directories as artifacts

Is there any way to define a directory as an artifact? The documentation
shows only files, e.g. zip, jar as possible artifacts but we have use
cases where much of our build input is present on the filesystem as part
of an scm tool work area, and must be copied to a build area. Is there
any way to have Ivy identify a directory as a valid input, or do we need
to find a file inside that directory that could represent the whole
input, as it were?

thanks

paul
Internal blogs: http://blogs.in.nokia.com/greenthinking,
http://blogs.in.nokia.com/helium/

Re: Directories as artifacts

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Bourzeix, Hervé <He...@genesys.com>
wrote:

> Hello,

Hi, this doesn't seem to be related to original thread topic, please at
least change the subject in this case.

> I have an application that I have to distribute with its libaries. As I use
> ivy, i need to package the ivy repository with. The application is in charge
> of launching several applications. To get correct classpath required by each
> application I use ivy configurations. My concern is resolve operation cache
> the artifact and duplicate for nothing all in the cache.
>
> Is there a way to disable the artifact caching ?

useOrigin="true"

> Workaround was to set the local repository to the cache itself. But this
> workaround doesn't work anymore for some reasons.
>
> I am using ivy 1.4.1
>

> When will be ivy 2 and ivyde 2 release?

Difficult to guess, it depends on voluntary involvment only... but we're
getting closer and closer :-)

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

RE: Directories as artifacts

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM, <Pa...@nokia.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to define a directory as an artifact? The documentation
> shows only files, e.g. zip, jar as possible artifacts but we have use
> cases where much of our build input is present on the filesystem as part
> of an scm tool work area, and must be copied to a build area. Is there
> any way to have Ivy identify a directory as a valid input, or do we need
> to find a file inside that directory that could represent the whole
> input, as it were?

There's already a JIRA to accept directories as artifact (IVY-209), vote for
it, and it may come close to the most requested feature!

ATM the workaround often suggested is to zip the directory before publish,
and unzip after resolve / retrieve.

Xavier