Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "David M. Karr" <dm...@earthlink.net> on 2002/09/03 06:12:59 UTC

TC4.1.10: Can't install new app directly from GUI

I very recently upgraded from TC 4.0.4 to TC 4.1.10.  I hadn't looked at the
manager app before (I don't know when it became a reality).  It looks quite
convenient.

It is very nice once I get an application installed.  Then, I can just reload
and rerun the app without restarting TC.  It appears that you can only do a
Reload when you've installed a non-WAR (exploded directory).  This is fine, but
what I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to install a new app directly
from the GUI.  I've been able to do it through the browser URL api, but not
from the GUI.  I don't see any documentation on how to use the Manager GUI,
although most of it is pretty self-explanatory.

In the "Install:" box, there are three fields:

1. Path       - I would guess this would be the context root for the application
2. Config URL - I'm not certain what this would be
3. WAR URL    - I would assume this is the path to the WAR or to the root of
                the exploded directory.

So, I would figure that I would enter the following values and click "Install"
(the two non-null values are exactly the values I used on the URL api):

Config URL:     <blank>
WAR URL:        file:/c:/cygwin/home/dmkarr/java/struts-el/dist/webapps/exercise-taglib

When I click Install, I get "FAIL - Encountered exception
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:".

One other annoying aspect of this is that once you get the error, it blows away
the field values.  I would guess that if I had mistyped one character in a long
URL, it would fail with some sort of a "not found" error, and make me start
over.  In addition, it might make it friendlier if the field widths were wider
(perhaps one per line?).