Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Magnús Þór Torfason <ma...@handtolvur.is> on 2001/04/06 17:52:25 UTC

services.TurbineVelocityService.runtime.log=/logs/velocity.log - missing log file causes exception

If this file is missing:

	/logs/velocity.log

This Exception occurs:

    Horrible Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:381)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.configuration.Configuration.addProperty(Configur
ation.java:630)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.configuration.Configuration.setProperty(Configur
ation.java:701)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.initVelocity(Tur
bineVelocityService.java:386)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.init(TurbineVelo
cityService.java:149)
    rethrown as org.apache.turbine.services.InitializationException: Failed
to initialize TurbineVelocityService
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.init(TurbineVelo
cityService.java:186)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.getService(BaseServiceBroker.j
ava:265)
    rethrown as org.apache.turbine.services.InstantiationException: Service
TurbineVelocityService failed to initialize
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.getService(BaseServiceBroker.j
ava:281)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.getService(TurbineVeloc
ity.java:92)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.getContext(TurbineVeloc
ity.java:140)
        at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.VelocityPage.doBuildBeforeAction(VelocityPa
ge.java:89)
        at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:142)
        at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)
        at org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:123)
        at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:415)
        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:597)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.servlets.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:257)
        at
        at
        at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
        at
)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

(Which is a pretty scary exception for a missing log file.)

Magnus

Re: services.TurbineVelocityService.runtime.log=/logs/velocity.log - missing log file causes exception

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
Magnús Þór Torfason wrote:

> If this file is missing:
>
>         /logs/velocity.log

What is your setup? This never happens when I'm testing the TDK,
I never have the log file present as it is always created. I'm
definitely interested in what you're doing as I've never, ever
seen this happen.

> [...]
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:597)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.servlets.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:257)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:503)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpC
> onnectionHandler.java:160)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338
> )
>
> (Which is a pretty scary exception for a missing log file.)

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: services.TurbineVelocityService.runtime.log=/logs/velocity.log - missing log file causes exception

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
Magnús Þór Torfason <ma...@handtolvur.is> writes:

> If this file is missing:
>
> 	/logs/velocity.log
>
> This Exception occurs:
> (Which is a pretty scary exception for a missing log file.)

Could this be a operating system permission problem?  Velocity should
probably just log to stdout in such a file creation failure condition.

Daniel

Re: services.TurbineVelocityService.runtime.log=/logs/velocity.log - missing log file causes exception

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
Magnús Þór Torfason wrote:

> I'm sorry I sent this to the wrong list (user).
>
> Basically, I want to modify TurbineConfig so that getRealPath() always
> returns a
> fully qualified path, regardless of whether the file exists.
>
> Reasons stated below.  This is a bug fix, so I believe it should go to both
> branches.

If you get it in the main trunk I will take care of merging it in
to the 2.1 branch.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: services.TurbineVelocityService.runtime.log=/logs/velocity.log - missing log file causes exception

Posted by Magnús Þór Torfason <ma...@handtolvur.is>.

Posted by Magnús Þór Torfason <ma...@handtolvur.is>.
Jason,

Posted by Magnús Þór Torfason <ma...@handtolvur.is>.