Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2004/05/20 04:12:09 UTC

[Eric Just] xerces perl

Hi Jason

I am using XML::Xerces in Activestate perl 5.6 on windows XP.  Thank you
for your efforts here.  I was trying to parse an xml document that is a
string rather than a file.  I tried using the    my $input_source =
$impl->createDOMInputSource();

If that is even the way that it is supposed to be done.  Anyway I got an error:

Error in eval: Message: <=Æÿ¬?> Code:  at C:\dicty\test\xml-test\test2.pl
line 16

It contains unreadable binary characters in the message.

Is there an email group for this?

Thanks
Eric

Eric Just
e-just@northwestern.edu
dictyBase Programmer
Center for Genetic Medicine
Northwestern University
http://dictybase.org

Re: [Eric Just] xerces perl

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
Hi Eric,

jason@openinformatics.com (Jason E. Stewart) writes:

> I am using XML::Xerces in Activestate perl 5.6 on windows XP.  Thank
> you for your efforts here.  I was trying to parse an xml document
> that is a string rather than a file.  I tried using the my
> $input_source =
> $impl->createDOMInputSource();

There are many ways to parse files in Xerces, so it depends what you
need. Are you using DOM or SAX? If you're using DOM, are you using the
new DOM Level 3 bindings, e.g. DOMBuilder, or the old DOM Bindings,
e.g. XercesDOMParser?

If you look in the t/ directory there are a number of simple tests
that use a MemBufInputSource which is what you need to parse a
string.

> If that is even the way that it is supposed to be done.  Anyway I got an error:
>
> Error in eval: Message: <=Æÿ¬?> Code:  at C:\dicty\test\xml-test\test2.pl
> line 16
>
> It contains unreadable binary characters in the message.

I don't know why this is happening - it looks like a problem with the
windows error message transcoder - sorry, but I don't have a windows
machine to test it on.

> Is there an email group for this?

There is a combined user-list dev-list for XML-Xerces - check the To:
line in this email for the adress. It is in the README, but it's not
very clear.

Cheers,
jas.

PS. How is DictyBase doing? I haven't had any contact with them since
the GO group had it's meeting there three years ago...