Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2012/02/02 10:57:45 UTC

Re: [OT] problems with performance with IIS 7.5 and Tomcat Connector

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:
> Hi
>

> Hopefully this is the right list :)

Actually I don't know, but I would also like to know.
I have noticed previously on this list, that whenever someone mentions JBoss, some of the
people here (Tomcat developers ?) seem to react quite strongly, and tell the poster curtly
to go ask their question on the JBoss support list.

On the other hand, it seems to be so that JBoss is a server software which uses Tomcat as
the underlying servlet engine. (But maybe also I am mistaken there, I do not really know
JBoss).

In any case, there seems to be more to it than meets the eye of the naive subscriber that
I am. So it would be nice if someone here provided some clarity on the matter.

Anyway, from your description of the matter and of the configuration files, it seems that
your question is at least to a large extent related to the isapi_redirect IIS plugin,
which is developed by some of the people on this list, and thus for which this list is the
right place for your questions, as far as I know.

Re: [OT] problems with performance with IIS 7.5 and Tomcat Connector

Posted by Sharun superstar <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] problems with performance with IIS 7.5 and Tomcat Connector

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 05/02/2012 19:59, Bilal S wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 02/02/2012 20:19, Bilal S wrote:
>>> I am willing to learn but finding the Apache related processes
>>> singularly difficult to deal with. We are working with mailing list,
>>> in the age of websites and social media.
>>
>> Correct. This is deliberate. Mailing lists are the lowest common
>> denominator and allow the widest possible participation. Not everyone
>> has an always on internet connection with high bandwidth.
>
> è Thanks for clarifying. Is the goal to design for the lowest common
> dominator? This would mean that if 99% of  the user base had access to
> better tools and 1% did not you would design for the 1%?

So you would prefer to exclude the minority?

Are you saying that every time a new toolset or medium comes along, the
ASF should wholesale move it's communications (and archive) to the new
platform?

> If so, this would be a disservice to the user community, wouldn’t it?

No, because it's based on a false premise.

> There are more improved design principles that have found use on the web
> for the last decade and have proven to serve their user base better. For
> example, either graceful degradation or progressive enhancement would be
> able to help the whole population without sacrifice. Why not adopt one at
> the ASF?

'Design principles' don't serve 'user bases'.

You are just, rather verbosely, leading up to saying that you think that
web forums are better than mailing lists.

There are any number of public websites that already integrate with the
ASF mailing lists, providing that experience for those who prefer it.

The ASF does not have unlimited resources to run additional services.

There are none, zero, not one widely used forum software that is a)
free* and b) can be installed by the ASF that has 'graceful degradation'
or 'progressive enhancement' out of the box.

NB  StackExchange** wrote a whole new platform* because of this and
other reasons of dissatisfaction with the state of forum type software.

If you wish to start a new forum project with this goal, write a
proposal for the Apache Incubator.

*   Or likely to be free to the ASF

**  I occasionally drop into the Tomcat questions area of StackExchange
and am put off by the endless series of inaccurate and misleading
answers. Pus, I don't like the ranking schemes in most forums.

>> For those
>> folks with bandwidth to spare that prefer a forum interface, there are
>> third parties that provide it. I love that the tools we use at the ASF
>> work just as well when I (or anyone else) is at the end of a very slow
>> mobile data connection in the middle of almost nowhere even though
>> trying to view a web page from the same place is pretty much impossible
>> these days.

> Also not sure that the issue of better and easier to use tools and
> communication is a bandwidth problem alone, and thus, concluding that
> people with low bandwidth would prefer email as lone mechanism of
> communication does not follow automatically. There are rich experiences
> possible for people with low bandwidth connections. Apps running in
> browsers making use of partial connections, local storage and enhanced
> programmability have blown this boundary a while ago. Similarly, on the
> mobile side, there are smart apps aware of connectivity. There are many
> examples, but I would like to point at Google for example implementations.
> A quick tour of google mobile apps and google groups online shows well
> designed interaction for any bandwidth. Why can’t this be a goal at ASF?

You can't possibly be claiming that browser local storage - a technology
that is patchily, variably and incompabitibly supported at best - is
somehow a solution to the vague problem you seem to be describing?

Also, I really don't know why you are directing generic questions about
the ASF to the Tomcat Users mailing list.

It's easy to criticise, but have you really taken the trouble to
understand the history of the ASF, how it works, or what you're asking?

 http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

>>> There is no easy to find contact form anywhere on the Apache
>>> websites.
>>
>> Also correct. The primary form of communication within Apache
>> communities are the mailing lists and these should be obviously linked
>> from each project's home page. In Tomcat's case, you'll find the forum
>> based interfaces linked from the same place.

> Thanks for clarifying. Thus, I am challenging ASF to be more open and do
> better than mailing list. Why would running users to a gauntlet to be able
> to talk someone be considered effective or desirable for an organization
> promoting openness? It may reduce email volumes but wouldn't hide the true
> issues?

More open than a public mailing list?

How is joining a public mailing list 'running the gauntlet'?

How is it worse than being required to fill in a membership form?

I have no idea how or why anyone would think that running a mailing list
might be considered to reduce email volumes.

>> Yet, there seems to be a lot emotions floating around in this list.
>>
>> With a high a volume mailing list such as this, there is an expectation
>> that folks follow [1] and a distinct lack of patience for folks that
>> continue to ignore that excellent advice after they have been pointed
>> towards it.

> I understand the nature of volunteer work. I appreciate the hard work and
> dedication of all. The word “Excellent” does throw me for a loop though as
> I can not find objective measurements that would back this up.

I understand it to mostly mean 'accurate' (as opposed to meaning mostly
accurate, badum tsch).  Advice is usually prompt and often comes with
additional tips, given for free, having sometimes been hard won, and
with the benefit of extensive experience.

> For example, are we basing excellence on resolution rate? On time to
> resolution, on professionalism of interaction? Number of steps? What
> baselines have been established against similar organizations (e.g. Jboss,
> etc.) and support groups; how has this group done better or worse?  I think
> it would be a great project for ASF to establish goals and measure them in
> contrast to others in this area, especially given the volunteer nature. In
> my opinion, it is hallmark of maturity to be able to this type of
> assessment.

Are you volunteering to perform an objective analysis?  Or just accusing
the 10+ year old community here of immaturity because the goal on which
you opine has not already been achieved?

> Though there is not doubt that some users will “ignore” advice by very
> smart contributors, it does not mean they deserve less respect in the way
> that they are being treated or do not deserve to ask questions. No volume
>  (I think this group averages about a dozen emails per day over a year) of
> request justifies discourteous treatment by anyone to anyone else.

There are different views in the world - and indeed in this community -
about what is discourteous.

> As you can tell I have a disagreement on this statement and issue alone.

I, for example, believe it's discourteous to direct a user away from
their existing problem towards an alternative, before any proper inquiry
has been attempted.  Especially if the direction given is self-serving.

> Even in a very positive light, I am reading little regard for users. Is
> this true? In my opinion, organizations that promote Free and Open
> Software, should be easily accessible, easy to communicate with, and make
> their mission to educate others (even the ones that “ignore advice”) about
> the principles, the products and services. It should not be a punishment to
> post on list, and you should not be bullied out of them. Maybe I am out of
> line or just an idealist, but that would be highly cool and I know it is
> possible and ASF could do it. As an example check out Jboss.org
>  communities.

I disagree entirely with your opinion.  Email is widely available,
easily accessible and easy to 'communicate with' [sic].

That fact that volunteers do reply to inquiries with answers and advice
is evidence that this community is educating others about the subject.

I'm sorry if you felt aggrieved when I took issue with your posts, but
it's hardly a punishment if you volunteer to post a message and I don't
think it's reasonable to issue accusations of bullying.

--

[key:62590808]

Re: [OT] problems with performance with IIS 7.5 and Tomcat Connector

Posted by Bilal S <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/02/2012 20:19, Bilal S wrote:
> I am willing to learn but finding the Apache related processes
> singularly difficult to deal with. We are working with mailing list,
> in the age of websites and social media.

Correct. This is deliberate. Mailing lists are the lowest common
denominator and allow the widest possible participation. Not everyone
has an always on internet connection with high bandwidth. For those

[1] http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: [OT] problems with performance with IIS 7.5 and Tomcat Connector

Posted by Bilal S <bi...@gmail.com>.

> > If you believe that the problem is localized around the connector have
> you
> > tried to bypass it to verify that assumption and create a baseline?
> > If you used IIS HTTP proxy what are the results?
> > If you were hitting the tomcat servers on HTTP directly (no IIS) what are
> > the results?
> > If you used an alternate connector (BonCode) (I dare not write the URL
> > since then the Tomcat guys are going to jump on me for daring to suggest
> > other solutions not invented here)
>
> I'll bite.
>
> 1. Bilal announces release of his (?) connector.
> 2. Bilal responds to a user configuration problem by suggesting they
> uses another connector, the one referred to in #1.
> 3. Repeat #2.
>

> Personally* I don't object to you promoting your(?) project here.
>
> It's just that not disclosing that when you're helping another user by
> suggesting they use your(?) project instead of fixing the actual issue
> seems a bit off.

> * I'm one person, it's just my own view

==>
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your comments. I will highlight this in
subsequent interactions.
In the end, I am trying to help. If any of my projects can assist, I
consider it gravy but not the end goal. After all, my name being unique
would have made this obvious to anyone who can handle a command prompt.
You will also note that I am asking for collection of data to diagnose the
issues given. I hope you do not consider data collection and analysis
counterproductive and relegate this to "not fixin the issue".

I am willing to learn but finding the Apache related processes singularly
difficult to deal with. We are working with mailing list, in the age of
websites and social media. Yahoo groups met the light of day in the late
90's yet there is no web-forum available. There is no easy to find contact
form anywhere on the Apache websites.
Yet, there seems to be a lot emotions floating around in this list. This in

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Al...@yieldbroker.com>.
<big snip>

>> If you believe that the problem is localized around the connector have you tried to bypass it to verify that assumption and create >> a baseline?
Yes, thought I mentioned we went directly to tomcat/jboss and were able to open 1000 connection within a couple of sec's

>> If you used IIS HTTP proxy what are the results?
Haven't spent the time to get it to work...

>> If you were hitting the tomcat servers on HTTP directly (no IIS) what are the results?
See above

>> If you used an alternate connector (BonCode) (I dare not write the URL since then the Tomcat guys are going to jump on me for >> daring to suggest other solutions not invented here) what are the results?

Looked at it, but it seems to be a version 1.00rc, first thought not mature enough to put in to production

>> If all is similar, then, looking at the JBoss side for performance optimization would probably a good idea.

Definitely IIS/Connector problem !

Thanks

Ps I hate using outlook for mailing lists grrr

Re: [OT] problems with performance with IIS 7.5 and Tomcat Connector

Posted by Bilal S <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/02/2012 09:57, André Warnier wrote:
> > Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>

> >> Hopefully this is the right list :)
> >
> > Actually I don't know, but I would also like to know.
> > I have noticed previously on this list, that whenever someone mentions
> > JBoss, some of the people here (Tomcat developers ?)
>
> In the most recent case, it was a JBoss/Tomcat developer who responded

> > seem to react quite
> > strongly, and tell the poster curtly to go ask their question on the
> > JBoss support list.

==>

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.