Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Susheel Choudhari <sc...@serenecorp.com> on 2006/06/19 21:24:58 UTC

getting managers

How do I get the Instances of all the managers (PortalAdministration,
UserManager, RoleManager) in my web application.

I am using the struts-bridge and Jetspeed 2

Thanks

Susheel

Re: getting managers

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Susheel Choudhari wrote:
> I created a new Portlet extending the org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.StrutsPortlet.
>
> But when I try to use the portlet I am getting ClassCastException
>
> Any clues why?
You don't need to extend the StrutsPortlet (or any portlet for that matter) to get access to the PortletContext in a
dispatched servlet.
Read up on the JSR-168 specification, especially chapter "PLT.16, Dispatching  Requests to Servlets and JSPs".

A servlet dispatched from a portlet can access the PortletConfig (and from there the PortletContext), the PortletRequest
and the PortletResponse from its (HttpServlet) request attributes (PLT.16.3.2 Included Request Attributes):
	javax.portlet.config   = javax.portlet.PortletConfig
	javax.portlet.request  = javax.portlet.RenderRequest
	javax.portlet.response = javax.portlet.RenderResponse

Note, JSR-168 doesn't support dispatching to a servlet from a portlet processAction *but the StrutsPortlet* does!
(side note: we hope to "fix" this discrepancy in the next Portlet API, JSR-286).
Thus, the StrutsBridge allows you to use Struts Actions for handling processAction logic too, and then the above
attributes actually can/should be typecast as follows:
	javax.portlet.request  = javax.portlet.ActionRequest
	javax.portlet.response = javax.portlet.ActionResponse

For your specific question (how to get access to the PortletContext) this doesn't really matter and you can simply do
the following in your Struts Action:
         PortletConfig  portletConfig  = (PortletConfig)request.getAttribute("javax.portlet.config");
	PortletContext portletContext = portletConfig.getPortletContext();

HTH,

Ate

RE: getting managers

RE: retriving organization info

Posted by Susheel Choudhari <sc...@serenecorp.com>.
I have created the Jetspeed-portlet.xml similar to the one present in j2-admin.

Now when I try to get the UserManager I get null

userManager = (UserManager) getPortletContext().getAttribute(               CommonPortletServices.CPS_USER_MANAGER_COMPONENT);

Am I missing any other configuration?

Thanks
Susheel

________________________________

Posted by Tushar Kapadi <tk...@serenecorp.com>.
Brice,

Thanks for your help. After deleting the context file from Catalina &
applying your changes made it work.

Thanks,
--Tushar

I did create that file under myapplication\web-inf foler but still I m
receiving null.

--Tushar

Posted by Tushar Kapadi <tk...@serenecorp.com>.
Brice,

Posted by Brice Lambi <br...@gmail.com>.

RE: getting managers

Posted by Susheel Choudhari <sc...@serenecorp.com>.
I removed the entries for the Portlet application and Portlet definition from the database, and removed all entries of the portlet application from tomcat, and redeployed the portlet application.

And it worked. Now I get the UserManager from the portlet context.

Thanks
Susheel

I have a portlet class that extends StrutsPortlet

I have created the Jetspeed-portlet.xml similar to the one present in j2-admin.

Now when I try to get the UserManager I get null

userManager = (UserManager) getPortletContext().getAttribute(               CommonPortletServices.CPS_USER_MANAGER_COMPONENT);

Am I missing any configuration?

Thanks
Susheel

RE: getting managers