Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rick R <ri...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/11 20:08:58 UTC

What happens to cause a build to not work after blowing out your repo - how to force so things are always checked locally?

Hopefully I describe this situation correctly, because I'm constantly
getting burned on it at work it seems and the non-maven co-workers always
end up going "sheesh this stuff seems to happen all the time with maven."

Here's a situation:

I run an archetype command to create a project setup (happens in this case
to be a flex archetype.)
My first mvn install command works perfect and I go along my way building
the start of my app.
As I'm building I'm often doing mvn clean install along the way and things
are going just fine.
Now I have a co-worker check out the project a few weeks later.

He runs mvn clean install and boom an issue
(in this case it was: [INFO] Trace
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdom/input/SAXBuilder
        at
org.sonatype.flexmojos.utilities.FDKConfigResolver.getConfig(FDKConfigResolver.java:95)
        at
org.sonatype.flexmojos.utilities.FDKConfigResolver.getFontManagers(FDKConfigResolver.java:118)
) .... )

So I'm pissed because it was fine for me locally.

I then go and backup my local repo and try the mvn clean install...

bam. blows up with the same error.

So my question is:

1) How do I prevent this from happening? In other words, when I do a 'mvn
clean install' I don't want to check an enormous dependency graph, but I'd
certainly like to know that the jars needed to build my project or to run it
are REALLY there in the repo and not just in my local repo. Shouldn't there
be a way to enforce this? My app might only require (as an example) 5
runtime jars and maybe 10 compile time jars - that should be easy to check.

2) What happens that causes my initial build to work but then later not work
if I start with a cleaned out local repository? Does it mean some dependency
repository got borked somehow? (Again, it would sure be nice to know about
this when building locally.. I'd prefer knowing there is a real issue that
happened and force me to run mvn in offline mode if need be. I'd prefer that
over doing a checkin and telling someone to go ahead and build the project
and have it fail on them.)

Thanks for any help in understanding the situation.

Re: What happens to cause a build to not work after blowing out your repo - how to force so things are always checked locally?

Posted by Rick R <ri...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Rick R <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now to add to the confusion, not sure it's the firewall at all ... on the
> Mac and Windows machine both behind company firewall...the Mac now gives the
> errors like:
>

> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> Missing:
> ----------
> 1) com.adobe.flex:compiler:pom:3.2.0.3958
>   Path to dependency:
>         1) org.sonatype.flexmojos:flexmojos-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:3.4.2
>         2) com.adobe.flex:compiler:pom:3.2.0.3958

For what it's worth I got past my recent errors by changing the repository
http://repository.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/

Now the project that I provided earlier that was zipped up builds, but I
still have the issue in my current project related to the below. But I'll
work now on debugging better since the archetype works it must be something
conflicting in my code causing an issue. Still really odd my old repo works
with the same code base though. That part has me really stumped.

[WARNING] Not defined if locales should be merged or not
[WARNING] Unable to find license.jar on classpath. Check wiki for
instructions about how to add it:
   https://docs.sonatype.org/display/FLEXMOJOS/FAQ#FAQ-1.3
[FATAL ERROR] org.sonatype.flexmojos.compiler.LibraryMojo#execute() caused a
linkage error (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError) and may be out-of-date. Check
the realms:
[FATAL ERROR] Plugin realm =
app0.child-container[org.sonatype.flexmojos:flexmojos-maven-plugin:3.4.2]
urls[93] =
file:/Users/rick/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/shared/maven-plugin-testing-harness/1.1/maven-plugin-testing-harness-1.1.jar
[FATAL ERROR] Container realm = plexus.core
urls[0] = file:/Users/rick/java/maven/lib/maven-2.2.1-uber.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] org/jdom/input/SAXBuilder
org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder
[INFO]

Posted by Rick R <ri...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Rick R <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > runs just fine when going against my OLD repo. With a fresh EMPTY repo
>> I'll
>> > end up with the following:
>> >

>> app0.child-container[org.sonatype.flexmojos:flexmojos-maven-plugin:3.4.2]
>>
>> What version of the flexmojos-maven-plugin is used in your successful
>> build, against the old repo? Use -X for debug mode if you're not sure.
>>

> My old repo only has 3.4.2 plugin so isn't that all it can run against?
>
>  But here is the really weird thing (and I'm wondering if it is some issue
> being behind the work firewall?)

Now to add to the confusion, not sure it's the firewall at all ... on the
Mac and Windows machine both behind company firewall...the Mac now gives the
errors like:

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) com.adobe.flex:compiler:pom:3.2.0.3958
  Path to dependency:
        1) org.sonatype.flexmojos:flexmojos-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:3.4.2
        2) com.adobe.flex:compiler:pom:3.2.0.3958

Yet on Windows it's the same thing as I saw on the home linux box (not
behind a firewall):

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
Missing:
----------
1) com.adobe.flex.framework:flex-framework:pom:3.2.0.3958
  Path to dependency:
        1) net.reumann:swc:swc:1.0-SNAPSHOT
        2) com.adobe.flex.framework:flex-framework:pom:3.2.0.3958
----------
1 required artifact is missing.
for artifact:
  net.reumann:swc:swc:1.0-SNAPSHOT
from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i could'nt locate that artifact

can you repoint to sonatype?
http://repository.sonatype.org/service/local/repositories/flex/content/org/graniteds/granite-generator-share/2.0.0.GA/granite-generator-share-2.0.0.GA.pom

hth
Martin

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/

Posted by Rick R <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> runs just fine when going against my OLD repo. With a fresh EMPTY repo I'll
> end up with the following:
>
> app0.child-container[org.sonatype.flexmojos:flexmojos-maven-plugin:3.4.2]

What version of the flexmojos-maven-plugin is used in your successful
build, against the old repo? Use -X for debug mode if you're not sure.

Wayne

Posted by Rick R <ri...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there's an extremely good chance you do not have your plugin
> versions locked down in your pom files with
> <version>[1.2.3]</version>.

I'm pretty sure my small project hasn't changed version numbers of plugins
so I'm completely stumped. For example, here is a created archetype if
someone wants to run mvn clean install in the root (it's small, it'll break
when trying to do the unit test for flash without the plugin but i don't
care about that, if you got to that point you got passed the error I'm
seeing.)  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86998/flex-project.zip

This is what is odd, is that project above which I just made from the
following archetype cmd

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeRepository=
http://repository.sonatype.org/content/groups/flexgroup-DarchetypeGroupId=org.sonatype.flexmojos
-DarchetypeArtifactId=flexmojos-archetypes-modular-webapp
-DarchetypeVersion=3.4.1  (as described in the 3rd archetype here
http://flexmojos.sonatype.org/getting-started.html )

runs just fine when going against my OLD repo. With a fresh EMPTY repo I'll
end up with the following:

~/projects/flex-project $ mvn clean install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Unnamed - net.reumann:flex-project:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]   swc Library
[INFO]   swf Application
[INFO]   Unnamed - net.reumann:war:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[WARNING] POM for 'classworlds:classworlds:pom:1.1:runtime' is invalid.

Its dependencies (if any) will NOT be available to the current build.
[WARNING] POM for 'jaxen:jaxen:pom:1.1:runtime' is invalid.

Its dependencies (if any) will NOT be available to the current build.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Unnamed - net.reumann:flex-project:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO]
[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor {execution: default-attach-descriptor}]
[INFO] [install:install {execution: default-install}]
[INFO] Installing /Users/rick/projects/flex-project/pom.xml to
/Users/rick/.m2/repository/net/reumann/flex-project/1.0-SNAPSHOT/flex-project-1.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
[INFO]
[INFO] Building swc Library
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO]
[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] Deleting directory /Users/rick/projects/flex-project/swc/target
[INFO] [resources:resources {execution: default-resources}]
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (MacRoman actually) to copy filtered
resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory
/Users/rick/projects/flex-project/swc/src/main/resources
[INFO] [flexmojos:compile-swc {execution: default-compile-swc}]
[INFO] Flexmojos 3.4.2 - Apache License (NO WARRANTY) - See COPYRIGHT file
[WARNING] Not defined if locales should be merged or not
[WARNING] Unable to find license.jar on classpath. Check wiki for
instructions about how to add it:
   https://docs.sonatype.org/display/FLEXMOJOS/FAQ#FAQ-1.3
[FATAL ERROR] org.sonatype.flexmojos.compiler.LibraryMojo#execute() caused a
linkage error (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError) and may be out-of-date. Check
the realms:
[FATAL ERROR] Plugin realm =
app0.child-container[org.sonatype.flexmojos:flexmojos-maven-plugin:3.4.2]
urls[0] =
file:/Users/rick/.m2/repository/org/sonatype/flexmojos/flexmojos-maven-plugin/3.4.2/flexmojos-maven-plugin-3.4.2.jar
urls[1] =
file:/Users/rick/.m2/repository/org/sonatype/flexmojos/flexmojos-generator-api/3.4.2/flexmojos-generator-api-3.4.2.jar
urls[2]..etc etc
urls[3]....

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> 2) What happens that causes my initial build to work but then later not work
> if I start with a cleaned out local repository? Does it mean some dependency
> repository got borked somehow? (Again, it would sure be nice to know about

I think there's an extremely good chance you do not have your plugin
versions locked down in your pom files with
<version>[1.2.3]</version>.

Previously, you were using a plugin say version 1.0 that worked fine.
Then your coworker came along a few months later, pulled down a later
version of the plugin that "has issues" and poof, problems.

You rebuild with old repo and it uses the old plugin, no problems. You
delete and retry, pull down new plugin, and problems.

Obviously I'm not positive about this but I'd make a pretty good bet
about it... And in case it wasn't clear, this is not Maven's fault.
Plugins should be locked down in your project poms. Use the enforcer
plugin to be sure.

Wayne

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
It's hard to say why this might be happening without seeing your pom
file(s). But this should be considered a bug in FlexMojos. Plugins
shouldn't have NoClassDefFoundErrors.

Justin