Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ron & Jen Forhmzway <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/12 22:23:06 UTC

openoffice glitch ?

Hi,

I have been using "openoffice" off & on for several months.

I was happily working on creating a second "sheet" in one of my existing
"spreadsheet" workbooks.
I decreased all col. widths & row heights, created a few borders & entered
just a couple letters.
I wanted to see how my page size was fitting -- so tried to get a "print *
preview*".

The program told me there was  *nothing*  to print.
After I went in & out of my workbook & directory etc,; it would  *not let
me open*  anything to get back in.
Turning the computer off & back on seems to have solved the problem, as is
often the case.

I am wondering if there is any issue such as trying to print a spreadsheet
when all it has is "borders"?
My thanks to anyone who can send me an answer to this question.

Regards,     Ron Forhmzway

Re: openoffice glitch ?

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
Hi, you can't print if there is no data in one of
the cells.
So enter some data in one of the cells and set the
font color to white and it will print.

Re: openoffice glitch ?

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 14:57 15/09/2012 -0600, Ron Forhmzway wrote:
>There is a real problem somewhere, because, about 4 hours ago, I was
>able to get into a workbook & make changes & print; but now I am
>unable to * even get into * any of my workbooks.

Anyone trying to help you would have to know exactly how you are
trying to open your documents (there's more than one way) and exactly
what happens when you do.  This is certainly going to be related to
your operating system as well as the application itself.

>Perhaps it will be OK again if I shutdown & restart; ...

That's the first thing you would want to do to diagnose the
problem.  As someone has said, one obvious possibility is that
OpenOffice has crashed (or you have closed it abnormally) but part of
it has remained in memory.  In that case, your operating system tries
to open your document in the existing, failed instance of the
program.  Logging out and in again or restarting will clear this.

>Do you have anybody who can access my computer remotely & see if
>they can determine if something has happened to cause this ?

I hope not!

Brian Barker

RE: openoffice glitch ?

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:51 15/09/2012 -0400, Maurice Howe wrote:
>I handy tool for allowing remote access to any computer anywhere is
>www.teamviewer.com/  Both parties have to recognize and agree to the
>risks involved.
>
>Of course it's up to the OOo & AOo leaders to say YAY or NAY to this
>sort of thing.

How so?  I don't want to offer such an arrangement, but it is up to
me and other individuals to decide whether or not to do so.

Brian Barker

RE: openoffice glitch ?

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
I handy tool for allowing remote access to any computer anywhere is
www.teamviewer.com/  Both parties have to recognize and agree to the risks
involved.

Of course it's up to the OOo & AOo leaders to say YAY or NAY to this sort of
thing.

Maurice D. Howe
616 Lacey Drive
Endwell, NY 13760
607-754-0469
Maurice@stny.rr.com

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:57:46 -0600
"Ron & Jen Forhmzway" <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Brian, for the prompt reply 3 days ago..
>
> I confirm that I did have at least 2 "letters" in different cells,
> at the time I tried to get a "print preview", & also,
> there was no "print area" designated in any sheet in the workbook.
>
> There is a real problem somewhere, because, about 4 hours ago,
> I was able to get into a workbook & make changes & print;
> but now I am unable to * even get into * any of my workbooks.
> Perhaps it will be OK again if I shutdown & restart; but
> it is the recurrence that I am concerned about.
>
> Do you have anybody who can access my computer remotely
> & see if they can determine if something has happened to cause this ?
> The only recent events I can think of are: loading the upgraded open office
> & a Java update & i- tunes update.
> Don't notice any issue in using internet browser or games etc.
>
> Thanks,     Regards,     Ron
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>wrote:
>
> > At 14:23 12/09/2012 -0600, Ron Forhmzway wrote:
> >
> >> I have been using "openoffice" off & on for several months.  I was
> >> happily working on creating a second "sheet" in one of my existing
> >> "spreadsheet" workbooks.  I decreased all col. widths & row heights,
> >> created a few borders & entered just a couple letters.  I wanted to see how
> >> my page size was fitting -- so tried to get a "print *preview*".
> >>
> >> The program told me there was  *nothing*  to print.  [...]  I am
> >> wondering if there is any issue such as trying to print a spreadsheet when
> >> all it has is "borders"?
> >>

> > Yes: (as has already been suggested) the "issue" is that the borders are
> > decoration and will not print unless there is something significant to
> > print - some content in the cells, that is.  But if you really did enter "a
> > couple letters", this should not be your problem.
> >
> > Another possibility is that you have a print range defined on your first
> > sheet.  If so, this will prevent the printing of anything from other sheets
> > unless print ranges are defined on those other sheets to include required
> > cells there too.
> >
> > I trust this helps.
> >
> > Brian Barker

In the circumstance where OpenOffice will not open any of its files under Windows, one should start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown as running on TaskManager's Processes tab.  Don't worry about the warning of horrible things happening - they have already happened if OpenOffice won't open.  Sometimes these soffice processes are left running, perhaps by a program or computer crash, perhaps by an over-speedy shut down of the computer, which dosn't give the machine time enough to tidy up.

The next step, which clears a very large proportion of OpenOffice faults and is not specific to Windows, is to delete or rename the User profile.  Details about this are at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: openoffice glitch ?